Black fungus on elder

corzon
Regular user

Black fungus on elder

Post by corzon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:19 am

The photo shows a blackish fungal growth on Sambucus nigra in the Dutch dunes (June 2013). Any hint at an ID will be appreciated!
Attachments
Ascomycota 63 med.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Black fungus on elder

Post by mollisia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:25 am

Hello,

this is very likely a Nemania species - you need microscope and KOH to determine the species.

best regards,
Andreas

corzon
Regular user

Post by corzon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:31 pm

And thanks again.

Just in case the reader would like to see why I find the IDs important, please have a look at my website, Natural History Photographs (www.corzonneveld.nl). The page dedicated to fungi is relatively new but will grow larger in due time...

Best regards
Cor

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Dear Cor,

I see ....

The fotos are very nice, but should urgently have someone to control your determinations! On nearly every page there is at least one wrong naming!
The most important change you should immediately do ist to change Kuehneromyces mutabilis in Galerina marginata!
to be honest, I doubt about the sense of presenting fungi fotos in a gallery when you not even have the skills to separate the deadly poisonous Galerina marginata from the much sought after Kuehneromyces mutabilis!
Your fotos are very nice and they really deserve to be presented, but either you should drastically improve your knowledge about fungi first or have someone to look through all of your fotos.

I hope to not disencourage you, your website is very nice, informative and the fotos are very good! But you disqualify yourself in presenting fotos with wrong names, so better don't do that, it would be a pity ....

best regards,
Andreas

corzon
Regular user

Post by corzon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:00 pm

:oops: :oops:

Thanks for the advice! Just to be sure, I expect you only looked into the fungi? I would be much surprised if your remarks would apply as well to the fly and beetle pages!

But I can appreciate that for fungi additional criteria apply, since they are more often consumed than flies and beetles :D

To explain the apparently deplorable state of taxonomic information on my fungi-pages, I started only one year ago and rely a lot on others. Any help is more than welcome!! (You may read this as an invitation :roll: ).

Don't be afraid about your remarks would discourage me; I know I have to learn a lot and appreciate any constructive feedback!

Best regards,
Cor

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Hello Cor,

I looked into your other pages at least partly too and I find them really overwhelming super!

My remarks were only aplicable to the fungi part, and I'm totally aware that you are starting with fungi and I know from myself that it takes years and years to become a "good" mycologist. No, I have to revise myself: There are sometimes (younger) people who are within one or two years so experienced mycologists that you could cry - but others need decades .... It' s a matter of time and intensity and if you do anything else than fungi, than you will need a lot of time. To become a good mycologist, other things like a real job, social contacts and such superfluus things are merely inconvenient *hahaha*
No, really, what I want to say is, that it is very good that you start to learn about fungi and I encourage you to that, but on the other hand it is much more difficult to name a fungus correct when you are not "into" the materia than e.g. with plants. So I just wanted to stress that it might toss a (unjustified!) bad light on your whole website when there are many wrong determined fungi.
And no, I won't stroll through your whole gallery to revise the pictures, sorry. 8-)

best regards,
Andreas

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 am

Perhaps it would be better if you were to post requests for identifications in the viewforum.php?f=4 thread. These others are more for people to show the (accurately named) fungi they have found

Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"