Hyphomycete

Pitufo
Frequent user

Hyphomycete

Post by Pitufo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 pm

I think this is a hyphomycete, but for want of a better place to post...

On wood. Approx 1-3mm tall. The beige material at the top is a tightly packed collection of long conidiophores (I believe). Does anyone recognise it? Any suggestions appreciated.

I think I need to re-check the size of the spores (if necessary) as I had a few technical issues which my calibration that day.
2016-10-17-19.41.58 ZS PMax1000.jpg
sporechain1000.jpg
conidia1000.jpg
conidia_branch1000.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Hyphomycete

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi
yes it's a hyphomycete, but it helps underline the artificiality of that (still very useful in a general sense) term. The vast majority of hyphomycetes represent the imperfect stage of ascomycete fungi; this is the anamorphic state of a basidiomycete, a species of Botryobasidium - Botryobasidium aureum. This is one of the Botryobasidium spp. without clamps, so not immediately recognisable as a basidio. I was once assured by Alick Henrici that this species and B. conspersum can only reliably be distinguished by their imperfect states. Here is the relevant page from Corticiaceae of Northern Europe Vol. 2; as Oidium (Haplotrichum in later works) aureum:
Botaur.jpg
Haplotrichum aureum state of Botryobasidium aureum
if you haven't already you can download all the volumes of this work (and/or a unified one) for free here: http://www.mediafire.com/monographs it's worth exploring that website, there's masses of other extremely useful free downloads on that and associated pages.
hope that helps
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Pitufo
Frequent user

Re: Hyphomycete

Post by Pitufo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:32 am

Hi Chris

Thanks for your answer - it looks like a very good match. :) Your name will go on the record.

I have to say I'm impressed with the breadth of your knowledge - I didn't even know where to start with it.

The link looks very useful.

Kind regards,

John