Eutypella cf.

Steve
Frequent user

Eutypella cf.

Post by Steve » Sat May 07, 2016 10:24 am

Hi,
I have posted this on Asco France http://www.ascofrance.com/search_forum/32836
and am realising that some of these small Pyrenomycetes are not just difficult but sometimes maybe quite impossible to name for generalist field mycologists – so I will share it with UK Fungi! It is still a lovely little asco and after all, unlike stuff in Sainsburys, none of them come with a label attached. We Homo sapiens just can't help wanting to make a huge list of all the rest of Mother Nature :) Maybe its just our Mesolithic hunting and gathering instincts ;)
This was found under a large elm, with birch nearby, and it had microscopy similar to the Eutypella stellata which we found close by. However, it had long necks and looked quite different. I suspect it's Eutypella because of the brownish spores in biseriate 8 spored asci which don't react blue in iodine. The fungus didn't produce any spore deposit on a slide after two weeks incubation, but numerous spores were liberated in a squash of the mature jelly.
Stroma up to about 1.5 mm diameter. Protruding ostioles/necks are about 0.4 mm high.
Perithecia approx 0.2-0.25 mm diameter, about 9-10 per stroma. About a two thirds were effete and some filled with white matter.
Spores 7-8 x 2, slighly curved, pale brown. Jelly content is brown when squashed.
Asci about 70 x 8 um. They were hard to see in water, so were stained in Methylene blue and Lugol.
Paraphyses/hairs were abundant, up to 120 x 4 um.
Steve
1 Elm Tree Pyreno.jpg
Macro
2 Stereo.jpg
Macro
3 Stereo.jpg
Perithecia
4 Asci 2.jpg
Asci
5 Spores.jpg
Spores
6 Paraphyses.jpg
Paraphyses

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Eutypella cf.

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat May 07, 2016 5:52 pm

check your email, Steve ;-)
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Sun May 08, 2016 11:37 am

Checked!

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Mon May 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Rappall's work on just one group of ascos (8-spored asco Pyrenomycetes with simple Diatrype-type spores) is sobering and a good reality check. How many species does he designate as Eutypella? Just a mere 76 plus an additional variety :o
Not the tiny handful found in FOS, Thompson and Ellis and Ellis which many of us consider authoritative. However Rappall's aren't just British and Irish :D . But the complexity of the taxonomy is staggering. For one single Eutypella species, Eutypella stellulata (found on Elm) his discussion and description amount to 1747 French words, which Google Translate converts reasonably well into 1668 English words. From this alone I suspect that my specimen may possibly be just a variation of the almost immersed form of Eutypella stellulata which was close by. But I would have to plough through a lot more French to be sure.
It is chastening to know that I am studying something which is immensely bigger than my ego :shock: .
Steve

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Tue May 10, 2016 7:13 am

You are lucky to be studying these specimens because as Chris often says these small things are much easier than the "big stuff" ;)
Mal

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Wed May 11, 2016 10:34 am

Hi Mal,
Tha't likely reight enuff theear!
I leave the littl' uns to Fungi John mostly, and he leaves the easy :lol: crusts to me, and the Entolomas to Rob.
Steve