Menispora ciliata

Steve
Frequent user

Menispora ciliata

Post by Steve » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am

Here is what I get to be Menispora ciliata, which is probably the dullest fungus I have ever found from its appearance, but with lovely conidia which I used to try to ID it using Ellis & Ellis. I presume it's an anamorphic form of an asco (hyphomycete). As it has 300 FRDBI records, 17 of which are in the Sheffield area (12 are by Chris Yeates) I think this is a good guess. It looks like a bit of dull grey-green felt, and is quite tough. My LED stereo images cut out the greenish tones and make it look just grey. Leaving it overnight to drop spores produced nothing, so I teased a bit out and did a squash to reveal the conidia with long appendages.. We are looking at anything remotely "fungal" in appearance in Greno Wood, and getting surprises (resin from pine, bird poo etc, sterile fungal crusts, crusts composed of hyphomycetes, highly infected basidio crusts full of all kinds of invading hyphomycetes which could give us a very nice list - but will probably be of no interest to the local Wildlife Trust, for whom we are doing the survey). Also, a tremendous wealth of wildlife - "minibeasts" on crust fungi, insects, molluscs etc.
Steve
Attachments
1.JPG
Stereo microscope
2 x45.JPG
Stereo microscope
3 27 600b.jpg
Conidia x 600
4 600 (C).jpg
Hyphae x600

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Menispora ciliata

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi Steve

looks fine to me; a key feature is the shape of the conidiophores:
Mencil.jpg
looking rather like narrow versions of the motif found in the Paisley design: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paisley_(design) . The lower conidiophore in the right hand portion of the "triptych" shows one budding off an almost mature conidium . . .

Yes, anamorphic Chaetosphaeriaceae. And the Wildlife Trust should welcome all records / species; I'm sure if a party of entomologists surveyed the site they wouldn't say "we're only interested in the big stuff, so forget most flies, beetles and hymenopterans" - please tell me they wouldn't.

cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Steve
Frequent user

Re: Menispora ciliata

Post by Steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for that.
Yes, we will certainly be showing them the smaller fungi - John Leach has taken a shine to the woods, and there are 6 pubs in Grenoside!
The resupinates are a huge challenge but represent almost 50% of our finds so far, so we are looking at as many as we can manage. In fact we are looking at everything!
If ever you wish to join us in this West Riding wood you would be most welcome.
Steve
Attachments
Specimens.jpg
Specimens from our last foray, excluding agarics and some ascos - and John's boxful of ascos.