Typhula erythropus - Redleg Club

Steve
Frequent user

Typhula erythropus - Redleg Club

Post by Steve » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi,
Here are some fungi on miscellaneous substrates :D , including Phacidia multivalve on Holly leaves, Hymenoscyphus fructigenus (Nut Disco) on Beech mast, Crocicreas cyathoideum (I think I checked it!) and Typhula erythropus (Redleg Club) on a herbaceous stem. They were all in debris together in a dry bit of Sheffield woodland in October. It's the first time I've seen Redleg Club, and I only found it because I was systematically examining a 10 metre circular quadrat.
If I find any fungus, then I "draw" a 5 m. radius circle around it, and just look very carefully. Firstly, fungi generally have circular growth habits (around trees, as fairy rings, and likely, as mycelial colonies in the ground. Secondly, if you find one fungus you'll probably find another close by - fungi have "hot spots" and "cold spots".
Steve
Attachments
Typhula erythropus - Redleg Club Field Photo.JPG
Phacidia multivalve on Holly leaves, Hymenoscyphus fructigenus (Nut Disco) on Beech mast, Crocicreas cyathoideum and Typhula erythropus (Redleg Club) on a herbaceous stem.
Typhula erythropus - Redleg Club.JPG
Stacked image using Combine ZP freeware (not 100% successful in this case, but usually good enough for me) of Crocicreas cyathoideum and Typhula erythropus (Redleg Club).

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Typhula erythropus - Redleg Club

Post by adampembs » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:53 am

Nice stacked image :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Ditiola
User

Post by Ditiola » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi Steve

Yes nice image: The halo effect is common with stacking white objects against a dark background. When I get it, I usually enlarge the image quite a bit and then meticulously and carefully clone the halo away. It only takes about 10 to 15 minuets minuets but improves the end result a lot.

Peter

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 am

Ditiola wrote:Hi Steve

Yes nice image: The halo effect is common with stacking white objects against a dark background. When I get it, I usually enlarge the image quite a bit and then meticulously and carefully clone the halo away. It only takes about 10 to 15 minuets minuets but improves the end result a lot.

Peter
Yes I noticed those haloes as well. This is where the retouching available with Zerene Stacker makes things simple http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... g001/index; sorted in seconds (and you don't need to do any dancing ;) ). I may be a Yorkshireman but I will put my hand in my pocket when it's worth it!
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for the tip!
Steve

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:19 am

Chris Yeates wrote:Yes I noticed those haloes as well. This is where the retouching available with Zerene Stacker makes things simple http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/do ... g001/index; sorted in seconds (and you don't need to do any dancing ;) ). I may be a Yorkshireman but I will put my hand in my pocket when it's worth it!
cheers
Chris
Hi Chris

I've been very happy with the free stacking software but there are times when some artifacts are not easy to remove in Photoshop. My initial experience with Zerene Stacker's free trial didn't go as well as I'd hoped but perhaps I' didn't give it enough time to explore it thoroughly. In hindsight, downloading it at a quiet time of year would have been more sensible.

Do you stack manually or used some electronic devise such as their recommended CamRanger camera controller?

Regards, Chris

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Chris Johnson wrote: Hi Chris
I've been very happy with the free stacking software but there are times when some artifacts are not easy to remove in Photoshop. My initial experience with Zerene Stacker's free trial didn't go as well as I'd hoped but perhaps I' didn't give it enough time to explore it thoroughly. In hindsight, downloading it at a quiet time of year would have been more sensible.

Do you stack manually or used some electronic devise such as their recommended CamRanger camera controller?

Regards, Chris
Hi Chris
It took me a while to get to grips with ZS but I find it indispensible especially with shots of microfeatures where DOF is so minimal. I'd never have got the Tubulicium vermiferum spores shot sorted otherwise; the spores are sigmoid in three dimensions, standard stacking programs end up with a blurry mess, but:
Tubulicium vermiferum 10.jpg
Tubulicium vermiferum basidiospores
Similarly conidia like the ones figured in this thread on Ingoldian fungi: http://www.ascofrance.com/search_forum/35545 are by their very nature extremely three-dimensional. With a coverslip on this reduces a bit, and you can wait until the slide starts to dry out and they are forced to shrink a bit (though this often results in them suddenly moving and you have to start again. Zerene with its ability to select from your entire set of original images in real time makes things do-able. I don't have shares in the company! though the guy behind it is very helpful - I've heard he's even offered assistance to people working with pirated copies - perhaps with a little hint at the end ;) .

For actually taking micro-images I do it manually with the supplied Tucsen software, then use ZS. For macro-shots I use
https://www.cognisys-inc.com/products/s ... ckshot.php with the stacking rail attached to a vertical copy stand:
DSC_6613a.jpg
Not cheap mind. The guys behind this software are pretty amazing; while not related to this topic their Stopshot setup is fantastic - just look at those sample photo's
https://www.cognisys-inc.com/galleries/ ... dex.php#33
a particular favourite of mine (though I'm no fan of firearms) is this one of the pellet going into the balloon which doesn't realise it has been burst yet:
https://www.cognisys-inc.com/galleries/ ... dex.php#29

Hope Gertrude isn't too feisty a lady . . . .
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 am

Hi Chris

Stacking micro images has always been difficult and nigh on impossible at times. Small stacks of 2 or 3 can sometime be worthwhile. I think your DIM system has a lot to do with the quality of your micros and ZS does the rest.

I've toured the sites you highlight on more than one occasion, they are truly impressive. However, as I use an old photomacroscope with its own integral racking system, it cannot be automated. I manage very well most of the time but with large stacks on maximum magnification, some finer control is desirable.

ZS is still tempting as I'm sure it does everything it purports to, but I don't believe it's as easy as the tutorials might suggest. As I'm not the brightest spark when it come to technology, I'll sit on the fence a bit longer.

Gertrude is demonic - the worst storm this winter. The peak passed through in the early hours with gusts of 85mph, but we have two days of just 'wild'. The mountainous Atlantic is spectacular.

This thread has drifted well off-topic and Adam might feel inclined to move the relevant parts to a more suitable site.

Regards, Chris

SteveMcBill
User

Post by SteveMcBill » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

Chris,

Have you tried the 'trial' version of Helicon Focus and, possibly, Helicon Remote ?? (http://www.heliconsoft.com/).

Steve

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi Steve

I looked at all available stacking software at the time (about 5 years ago) and tried the free trials. Helicon Focus didn't seem to be offering anything that Combine ZM wasn't so I ran with the latter, which was free. I have been very pleased with it (and still am) and any ghosting can be tidied up in Photoshop.

It's the large stacks on high magnification which produce the problems which are not easily (if at all) dealt with in Photoshop.

Best wishes, Chris