Wallaby

Flaxton
Frequent user

Wallaby

Post by Flaxton » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:31 pm

I collected a small sample of the dung of some wild(escaped) wallaby while on the BMS trip to the IOM. There are a few common species growing but one of the more unususal was an Ascobolus hawaiiensis.
spores.jpg
Mal

marksteer
Frequent user

Re: Wallaby

Post by marksteer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Flaxton wrote:I collected a small sample of the dung of some wild(escaped) wallaby while on the BMS trip to the IOM. There are a few common species growing but one of the more unususal was an Ascobolus hawaiiensis.
spores.jpg
Mal
Well interesting different substrate! I don't think we have escaped Wallabys in South Wales but we do have escaped Wild Boar! It would be interesting to see what fungi might be found on their faces if it is possible to find and identify.
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 pm

The only difference is the Wallaby is a herbivore so the dung does not smell. Wild boar is an omnivore so I am not sure what aromas you might have to put up with, still plenty of fungi I would think.
Mal

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:44 pm

Flaxton wrote:The only difference is the Wallaby is a herbivore so the dung does not smell. Wild boar is an omnivore so I am not sure what aromas you might have to put up with, still plenty of fungi I would think.
Mal
Not only smell but safety aspects too, worms, various parasites and human pathogenic bacteria like Salmonella have to be contended with.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:58 pm

adampembs wrote:
Flaxton wrote:The only difference is the Wallaby is a herbivore so the dung does not smell. Wild boar is an omnivore so I am not sure what aromas you might have to put up with, still plenty of fungi I would think.
Mal
Not only smell but safety aspects too, worms, various parasites and human pathogenic bacteria like Salmonella have to be contended with.
I'm not seriously thinking of looking for Wild Boar (ghosts of the forest) dung. I will leave that up to NRW and the police! Release of Wild Boar from licensed farm during burglary near Maesteg in 2014 and now seem to be breeding in the wild.
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

Only just spotted this Mal, this is what you refer to on FB ............ :oops: