Fungus on a Spider

marksteer
Frequent user

Fungus on a Spider

Post by marksteer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:01 pm

USBx20 Pen Pych 10sept2016 7.jpg
USBx20 Pen Pych 10sept2016 8.jpg
Find on recent Glamorgan Fungus Group Foray by Rob Nottage. On underside of Quercus robor leaf about 3mm high and width. Initial thoughts were 'it's fungal' but no one had any real ideas except on insect or...? Comments via BMS Facebook page we had suggestion possibly Gibellula species. Contact with Harry Evans CABI confirmed possibility but... Specimen examined by Harry and he advised Hymenostilbe cf. arachnophila. Paul Kirk comments that naming of this genus is up for debate. At this point I retire to Rust Fungi on which I am no expert! Photos USBx20 apologies not so good.
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Fungus on a Spider

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 pm

marksteer wrote: . . . Paul Kirk comments that naming of this genus is up for debate. At this point I retire to Rust Fungi on which I am no expert! . . .
That's fair enough, generic positions are always going to be malleable/matters of opinion to some degree. Perhaps the find will be sequenced at some stage - we are far behind many countries in this respect, sadly.

Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:56 pm

We found one a couple of weeks ago on a spider too.

We guessed it was Gibellula pulchra on macro characters but haven't looked into it too deeply.

Cheers,

John
Attachments
Gibellula pulchra 1000.jpg

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:40 pm

From discussions with Harry Evans probably best to have expert to look at it microscopically. I'm out of my depth with these!
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'