Marine Fungi

pyrenopeziza
User

Re: Marine Fungi

Post by pyrenopeziza » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:50 am

Hi Chris and Gary,

In case you're interested, I did get some feedback from a couple of people after mentioning Stigmidium ascophylli in the Lost and Found Fungi Project update.

Malcolm Storey has found it on every bit of piece of Ascophyllum that he's looked at, but hasn't recorded it. His BioImages record is from Dorset.

Paul Gainey went and found it immediately in a couple of places around Cornwall.

I also spotted something which almost certainly was that (macroscopic ID only I'm afraid) near Pembroke while on holiday last month.

I guess the challenge may be to find some Ascophyllum which isn't infected...

Cheers,

Brian

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:10 pm

pyrenopeziza wrote: I guess the challenge may be to find some Ascophyllum which isn't infected...
I win the challenge. Since this thread was aired I have looked at dozens of mature specimens of Ascophyllum nodosum and not until I found myself in a remote bay on Harris, looking for a Lost and Found fungus, did I find a miserable collection.

A different story this week. I noticed some maturing Pelvetia canaliculata and took a closer look. The receptacles were covered in the pseudothecia :D

Chris
Attachments
Stigmidium-ascophylli-04.jpg
Stigmidium-ascophylli-06.jpg
Stigmidium-ascophylli-08.jpg
Stigmidium-ascophylli-09.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Excellent stuff - nice photo's

cheers