Marine Fungi

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Marine Fungi

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm

As most of us know fungi have exploited virtually all the possible biotopes - Hormoconis resinae the fungus which can live in aeroplane fuel tanks threatened the Concorde project :shock:
So there are plenty of fungi associated with the marine environment, from shoreline sand-dunes to the open sea. My old Yorkshire mycological mate Jerry Cooper (now doing excellent work in New Zealand) sums up the situation extremely well here: http://www.funnz.org.nz/sites/default/f ... eFungi.pdf.
A Northern Hemisphere equivalent to his Stigmidium apophlaeae is Stigmidium (formerly Mycosphaerella) ascophylli. Every time I have picked up a piece of knotted wrack Ascophyllum nodosum bearing receptacles the fungus is there; it is also found on channelled wrack Pelvetia canaliculata, though I have yet to look for it on that, similarly common, seaweed. More info is available here: http://www.lichens.lastdragon.org/faq/w ... ichen.html (towards the bottom of the webpage).
Here is a recent collection (a bit too early for mature ascospores to have formed, though they do tend to be expelled as soon as they ripen and so are easily missed. Next time you're at the seaside have a (close) look for it - those tiny black dots are the perithecia. This has been recorded for Dorset Jenny - in fact I think that Cotton's type collection may well have been from there . . .
Chris
Stigmidium ascophylli 1.jpg
Stignmidium ascophylli on knotted wrack seaweed
Last edited by Chris Yeates on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Marine Fungi

Post by Chris Johnson » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:24 am

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting this interesting subject area. Living so close to the sea, I have spent some time looking at seaweeds and coastal flora but have not been too successful in finding fungi on seaweed; in fact, just two species of plurivorous Cladosporium. It helps to know what to look for and on what.

Not found much literature on seaweed fungi but there is a useful section in Fungi by Spooner and Roberts.

Regards, Chris

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:Hi Chris . . .
Not found much literature on seaweed fungi but there is a useful section in Fungi by Spooner and Roberts.
Regards, Chris
Hi
regarding marine fungi in general - check your email ;-)

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:46 am

Many thanks, Chris ... have replied to your email.

gary
User

Post by gary » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks for the info on Marine fungi. Luckily I read it before going on a Seaweed walk with the Aberystwyth Botanical society and Helen Marshall last Sunday.(in Aberystwyth on the rocks next to the pier)
Found Stigmidium on every bit of Ascophyllum that I looked at but not on Pelvetia
I've attached 2 pics taken with my cheapo digital microscope.
I hope this all works as it's my first post here.
Attachments
Mon Apr 25 10-44-50.jpg
Mon Apr 25 11-04-42.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:40 pm

gary wrote:Thanks for the info on Marine fungi. Luckily I read it before going on a Seaweed walk with the Aberystwyth Botanical society and Helen Marshall last Sunday.(in Aberystwyth on the rocks next to the pier)
Found Stigmidium on every bit of Ascophyllum that I looked at but not on Pelvetia
I've attached 2 pics taken with my cheapo digital microscope.
I hope this all works as it's my first post here.
Nice one
pics are fine; it is truly amazing how this is ever-present on Ascophyllum - even tar-spot cannot be guaranteed on every sycamore . . . Was Helen M. aware of it? First Cardiganshire records for half a century (those previous again from Aberystwyth.

cheers
Chris

gary
User

Post by gary » Tue May 03, 2016 10:55 am

Helen M wasn't aware of it but she is now!
I passed the information on to friends around Wales to see if anybody else had come across it .
Now a few more people are looking so it will be interesting to see what turns up. I suspect that the fungus has always been there but nobody's looked for it.
Arthur sent me some more pictures which I've attached, showing asci and ascospores dissected out of the perithecium.

You mention a 50 year old record in Aberystwyth but is there a distribution map on-line anywhere?
Attachments
DSC03686.JPG
DSC03687.JPG
DSC03688.JPG
DSC03690.JPG

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue May 03, 2016 11:38 pm

gary wrote: You mention a 50 year old record in Aberystwyth but is there a distribution map on-line anywhere?
https://data.nbn.org.uk/Taxa/NBNSYS0000016382/Grid_Map but for some reason the NBN Gateway doesn't always pick up grid ref's from the FRDBI records - http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... BNum=42505 so it's always worth cross-referencing . . . that said I suspect that the actual distribution will be rather like: https://data.nbn.org.uk/Taxa/NHMSYS0021058637/Grid_Map :)
best
Chris

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat May 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes I finally found mature asci and ascospores next time I looked - I suspect there is a narrow window, possibly tying in with the reproductive cycle
of the host seaweed.
Stigmidium ascophylli_.jpg
Stigmidium ascophylli, a non-pathogenic associate of the seaweed Ascophyllum nodosum (knotted wrack)
Chris

gary
User

Post by gary » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:35 am

I'm sure you're right about the distribution and that it's common but under-recorded.
I mentioned it to Brian Douglas at Kew ,LAFF and he kindly mentions it (and your thread) in his monthly report.
http://fungi.myspecies.info/content/pro ... april-2016

I will try and remember to have a look for it out of season.