Marchandiomyces aurantiacus?

Steve
Frequent user

Marchandiomyces aurantiacus?

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi,
I have just looked at this Marchandiomyces type of lichen fungus which was sent to me to by a Sheffield colleague from two sites - one just a mile from the city centre. Both were on Physcia tenella. It is more salmon pink than the Marchandiomyces corallinus which is abundant on Parmelia saxatilis out in the gritstone Peak District. From the internet site below it could be Marchandiomyces aurantiacus, but I don't know of any site which gives microscopical features of these anamorphic fungi, or whether the microscopy is of any use anyway. The microscopy of the two samples looked identical.
http://lichens.lastdragon.org/lichenico ... iacus.html
Steve
DSCF1225 - Copy.JPG
Stereo microscope image
DSCF1226 - Copy.JPG
DSCF1224crop - Copy.jpg
wp 600 wat - Copy.jpg
sample 1 x 600 in water
bw 600 wat - Copy.jpg
sample 2 x 600 in water

JennyS
Regular user

Re: Marchandiomyces aurantiacus?

Post by JennyS » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Yes, looks good for M. aurantiacus - much more orange in colour than corallinus. Paranectria oropensis can look a bit similar (and also found on Physcia) but has very distinctive sub-muriform spores with tails
Jenny

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks Jenny,
I'll pass this on to my colleague and keep a look out for it myself,
Steve

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Your fungus is definitely Marchandiomyces aurantiacus, Steve. When you say:
Steve wrote: . . . . . It is more salmon pink than the Marchandiomyces corallinus which is abundant on Parmelia saxatilis out in the gritstone Peak District
do you also find Illosporiopsis christiansenii? Which I find to be far more common in gritstone areas (I think Diggleken does as well . . . ). In the field they look very similar even though one is an anamorphic basidio and the other an anamorphic asco. Always worth checking each collection microscopically - very easily distinguished then . . .
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Chris,
I have found Illosporiopsis christiansenii - but only on Physcia tenella in Notts - yes , the microscopy is distinctive. I'll have a good look out for it on the gritstone lichens at Longshaw, but haven't seen anything pink on Physcia so far. The Illosporiopsis christiansenii I found was quite luminous pink. I posted it on WAB with the microscopy - and can't find my originals apart from the field photo below :o .
Steve
Attachments
Illosporiopsis at Idle Valley.jpg
Illosporiopsis christiansenii