Books and Papers ??

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
SteveMcBill
User

Books and Papers ??

Post by SteveMcBill » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:27 am

Dear All,

I am very new to the idea of using a compound microscope to aid in species identification (including areas beyond fungi) and my first ever compound (a Brunel SP500) arrives on Thursday (28/01/2016).

Currently my main interests and the reason for obtaining the compound are as follows: Mildews (Powdery & Downy), Smuts, Rusts and Slime moulds along with both Freshwater and Marine protozoans. Can I ask if anyone has any recommendations for Books/Keys/Papers covering these areas and especially aids to help species identification within these groups via the use of a compound microscope ?? I am sure my interests will expand, so if anyone can recommend anything covering ID of macro-fungi via the use of microscopy techniques then they will be potentially useful too.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Books and Papers ??

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Steve,

If you look through the various forums here on UK fungi, you will see that almost every forum has a sticky thread with recommended literature and websites for the particular mycological subject. (Microscopy tutorials etc. too).

Regards,
Mike.

EDIT - A couple of useful books with a particular emphasis on the microscopy techniques required are: -

How to Identify Mushrooms to Genus: Microscopic Features v. 3 - by D.L. Largent (Author), D Johnson (Author), Roy Watling (Author).

and

Hulton Group Keys: Identification of the Larger Fungi - 1973, by Roy Watling.

Both are out of print, but can usually be found on sites such as Amazon etc. etc.
Common sense is not so common.

Ditiola
User

Post by Ditiola » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi

I have been given a link to an internet forum page that has a huge amount of useful information for the beginner in mycological microscopy. OK it is directed towards gilled fungi but I am sure it will be of use to mycologists starting out on other groups as well.

The link is:

http://www.hyphalfusion.com/forum/viewt ... 0&p=297276

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Ditiola wrote:Hi

I have been given a link to an internet forum page that has a huge amount of useful information for the beginner in mycological microscopy. OK it is directed towards gilled fungi but I am sure it will be of use to mycologists starting out on other groups as well.

The link is:

http://www.hyphalfusion.com/forum/viewt ... 0&p=297276
That is a useful link Peter, (already linked amongst the microscopy tutorials/primers posted here), but certainly worth another mention ;) : -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=108

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

SteveMcBill
User

Post by SteveMcBill » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks Mike (LL) and Ditiola - very much appreciated and very helpful.

Cheers,
Steve

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 am

Hi Steve,
you might find this useful too for many microscopic protozoans in Sphagnum - I use it to help with bog surveys - not in depth but good info and illustrations:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microscopic-Lif ... 0855462914
Cheers
Ken

SteveMcBill
User

Post by SteveMcBill » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Thanks Ken - appreciated - it is ordered.

Steve :)