Comment on Brunel SP500

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
SteveMcBill
User

Comment on Brunel SP500

Post by SteveMcBill » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Dear All,

I have been a long term (35 years) user of a Meiji EMZ-5TR Stereo Microscope - mainly for identifying and mounting invertebrates (micro-moths, hymenoptera, coleoptera, diptera, etc.). However, over the last few years I have developed a keen interest in fungi, especially in slime moulds and have felt the need for a compound microscope to help in species ID.

I have ordered a Brunel SP500 trinocular so that I can use it with my Canon 7D Mk-II to take photographs of the specimens.

Now I am getting a little jittery wondering if in fact I have purchased the correct item - I have very little experience of compound microscope usage - it being limited to working in the Bacteriology Dept of a Path Lab back in 1968 to 1970. Does anyone on the group have experience of using this microscope and if so could you possibly comment on its quality and usability for fungal microscopy ??

Many thanks.
Steve :)
Last edited by SteveMcBill on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Comment on Brunel SP500

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome to UK Fungi.

I don't think you need have any worries about the SP500's potential for use with fungi.

I'm pretty sure that the SP500 has a fairly similar specification, and uses the same lenses that the Brunel SP200 uses, (and which is similar to my GX Optical L3200B), and my scope does everything I need perfectly adequately.

You may find a x60 objective to be a very useful (but not strictly essential) addition - but other than that (and suitable scope to camera adapter for your Canon), you should have no problems with it.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

SteveMcBill
User

Post by SteveMcBill » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks Mike - appreciated - :)

Cheers,
Steve

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:32 pm

The Brunel will be a rebadged Chinese instrument, which offer very good value. Some are not so good, but if Brunel sell it under their own name, you can be assured it will be decent value. I have a Meijo, but I think a Chinese model would have been better. To be honest an old used instrument from one of the top four makers with non infinity optics is arguably better, but that's another issue.