LED lamp with clamp at Lidl

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
adampembs
Frequent user

LED lamp with clamp at Lidl

Post by adampembs » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:42 pm

Just to let you know that Lidl are currently selling a handy clamp on LED lamp that clamps nicely to my microscope for top illuminated macros. Until now, I've been jamming a desklamp in the side and hoping it stays still. This one has a bendy metal neck & 20 LEDs, so you don't get such an obvious central light spot. On the down side, the LEDS aren't replaceable.
Attachments
DSCF2471.JPG
DSCF2472.JPG
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Leif
Frequent user

Re: LED lamp with clamp at Lidl

Post by Leif » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:05 am

Looks useful. Cost?

LEDs generally last 50,000 hours, it is usually the driver, not the LED that goes, and they are reliable. I've only had one LED light stop working over many years of using lights for cross country running, it needed a new driver, the LED was fine.

Incidentally, I assume it takes batteries. I recommend rechargeable Low Self Discharge NiMH ones. They keep their charge for years, not months as with other NiMH cells. The best are Japanese made such as Eneloop, and some Amazon Basics! 7dayshop is a good source for cheap batteries.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: LED lamp with clamp at Lidl

Post by adampembs » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Leif wrote:Looks useful. Cost?

Incidentally, I assume it takes batteries. I recommend rechargeable Low Self Discharge NiMH ones. They keep their charge for years, not months as with other NiMH cells. The best are Japanese made such as Eneloop, and some Amazon Basics! 7dayshop is a good source for cheap batteries.

about £6 and it is main powered. My main LED microscope lamp is battery powered from a 12V lead acid battery. I have been using it for about 3 months without needing to recharge.
Adam Pollard
Site admin