Compact/Portable cameras

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Flaxton » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Adam that looks to be a good set of photos from the new set up. Still a bit big for a pocket camera but enjoy and keep posting for others to enjoy.
Mal

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:24 am

In retrospect, I am regretting buying the HS10. While it is a decent camera, it is hardly a compact, being quite bulky and heavy to carry around the neck.
I also find the controls overwhelming, it offers a lot of flexibility and fine controls, but this means taking a photo is not a case of point and click. First, in automatic mode, it doesn't save the preference for macro mode, you have to set it every time. I should probably use a custom mode for this, but would probably forget about it later. I also find the auto-focus isn't reliable in low light conditions, and manually focussing is another time consuming thing, that I find difficult as my eyes are not so good, to see the focussing on the screen.
My main dislike though is for long walks/forays, I no longer take it, as it is too heavy, and has to go in a backpack to avoid neckstrain. My old LX5 fitted comfortably in the pocket of my fleece and I found the photos it took were good and easy to obtain. In the hands of a skilled photographer like Mike, the HS10 gives outstanding results, but for a simpleton like me, it's overcomplicated :(
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Well I'm thinking of getting a portable compact camera and the TG4 was recommended earlier in the topic. This was 3 years ago, so I dont know if there are any "new kids on the block" wrt cameras. Are there any publications that do camera reviews that focus on the criteria important for fungi enthusiasts? ie dark, damp conditions, and macro capability? I stopped subscribing to the FCS and the BMS is quite pricey. Do any of their magazines do camera reviews?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 am

Hi Adam

I use the Olympus TG4 with excellent results. I opted for this camera because of its underwater facility (I also record marine and freshwater algae). I restrict its use, however, to long treks or difficult terrain such as slippery seaweed-covered rocks. Otherwise I prefer to carry my DSLR and tripod.

Regards, Chris

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 am

Hi Adam
I have a TG4 and I get a lot of good but not great photos. As a compact I think it is excellent it is just thrown in my rucksack or pocket and gives lots of convenience when out foraying. In no way would I class myself as a photographer but like to record what I see for my own information and sometimes to show others and this camera does this really well. It gives you the opportunity to take close up photos with or without stacking and without all the paraphernalia that goes with a "real" camera.
A couple of examples one using the cameras own stacking software.
P6270542.JPG
P7020604 (2).JPG

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 am

Adam
One thing that someone pointed out to me which I hadn't noticed :oops: is the dreaded Purple Spot. Under full zoom on the microscope settings you can get a pale purple circle in the centre of the photo.
P6070417.JPG

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:43 am

Ok, thanks guys. Looking online, I think the TG4 has been dropped and replaced with the TG5.
£375 is a lot though for a clumsy fool like me. :oops:
Adam Pollard
Site admin