Compact/Portable cameras

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
User avatar
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Red Rose County
Contact:

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:10 pm

adampembs wrote:Got one of the bendy ones - although cheap this looks well made and you can bend it around tree branches etc. The down side is that it's not extendable so it might be short for some things.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/iGadgitz-Lightw ... =sr_1_11_m
Hi Adam,

Obviously you will see how it performs, but the "Large" model's description says it will support a maximum of 275g., so in all honesty, I doubt whether it will be strong enough to give solid support, (without "drooping"), with the HS10 - which weighs in at approx. 800g, and approx. 900g if you add a Raynox supplementary lens.

Many folk feel that carrying a decent tripod is a bit of a bind, (I used to be of that opinion anyway). However, I soon realised that my shots were suffering as a result, so nowadays, I never set out without. I don't use flash, and exposure times are regularly in the seconds rather than fractions of seconds, so the tripod is essential, and it needs to perform flawlessly in as many situations as possible.

The 785SHB tripod with Velbon head weighs under 1.2kg. - A mere featherweight. :D
In comparison, the 055XB/405 head I use with the Nikon kit weighs in at almost 5kg. - Now that one you do notice when carrying it around all day!

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

User avatar
adampembs
Frequent user
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Pembrokeshire
Contact:

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Lancashire Lad wrote:
adampembs wrote:Got one of the bendy ones - although cheap this looks well made and you can bend it around tree branches etc. The down side is that it's not extendable so it might be short for some things.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/iGadgitz-Lightw ... =sr_1_11_m
Hi Adam,

Obviously you will see how it performs, but the "Large" model's description says it will support a maximum of 275g., so in all honesty, I doubt whether it will be strong enough to give solid support, (without "drooping"), with the HS10 - which weighs in at approx. 800g, and approx. 900g if you add a Raynox supplementary lens.


Regards,
Mike.
Thanks Mike. You need to click the "large" option on page referred by the link. It actually carries 880g, but I appreciate what you're saying. I'll report back :D
Adam Pollard
Site admin

User avatar
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Red Rose County
Contact:

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:03 pm

adampembs wrote:Thanks Mike. You need to click the "large" option on page referred by the link. It actually carries 880g, but I appreciate what you're saying. I'll report back :D
I thought I had done - but was somehow still looking at the description for the small version. :oops:
If it will solidly support 880g, then it should be OK. ;)
I'm still inclined to recommend a "normal" type tripod similar to the 785 though, as I think they offer more overall versatility for general use.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

User avatar
Chris Yeates
Frequent user
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 7:01 pm
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Lancashire Lad wrote:
adampembs wrote: Many folk feel that carrying a decent tripod is a bit of a bind, (I used to be of that opinion anyway). However, I soon realised that my shots were suffering as a result, so nowadays, I never set out without. I don't use flash, and exposure times are regularly in the seconds rather than fractions of seconds, so the tripod is essential, and it needs to perform flawlessly in as many situations as possible. . . . the 055XB/405 head I use with the Nikon kit weighs in at almost 5kg. - Now that one you do notice when carrying it around all day!
Regards,
Mike.
It's horses for courses. With the project I'm engaged in the 'field shots' are very much a record of the fungus with its habitat - I couldn't aspire to the quality of Mike's shots; but having suffered some v. nasty backpain recently which knocked me out of any sort of action* I try to travel as light as possible - a Nikon D40 suffices (I recently bought a lighter Lumix FZ200, but get irritated by the lack of control I'm used to with DSLRs, perhaps I just need to persevere). Using flash is therefore the price I pay, though I do tend to ensure it's not always at the 'Full' setting, so slightly underexposed and then Photoshopped later - I also keep a keen eye on white balance . . . .
When I get back home it's a different matter, using the Canon MP-E on a copy stand, and taking numerous micro-shots is where I have to put the effort in; one of my composite 'plates' can take over 200 shots amounting to some 5Gb of data before stacking and rejecting arrive at the final image generally a 60Mb tiff and a 500Kb jpeg, with the images I have used for the final plate archived as Tiffs - so it can add up to 500Mb per plate :o .

Chris

* I can recommend a brilliant osteopath in Huddersfield . . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

User avatar
Wood Wanderer
Frequent user
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:06 pm
Location: Warwick VC38

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Wood Wanderer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Chris Yeates wrote:
Lancashire Lad wrote:
adampembs wrote: Many folk feel that carrying a decent tripod is a bit of a bind, (I used to be of that opinion anyway). However, I soon realised that my shots were suffering as a result, so nowadays, I never set out without. I don't use flash, and exposure times are regularly in the seconds rather than fractions of seconds, so the tripod is essential, and it needs to perform flawlessly in as many situations as possible. . . . the 055XB/405 head I use with the Nikon kit weighs in at almost 5kg. - Now that one you do notice when carrying it around all day!
Regards,
Mike.
It's horses for courses. With the project I'm engaged in the 'field shots' are very much a record of the fungus with its habitat - I couldn't aspire to the quality of Mike's shots; but having suffered some v. nasty backpain recently which knocked me out of any sort of action* I try to travel as light as possible - a Nikon D40 suffices (I recently bought a lighter Lumix FZ200, but get irritated by the lack of control I'm used to with DSLRs, perhaps I just need to persevere). Using flash is therefore the price I pay, though I do tend to ensure it's not always at the 'Full' setting, so slightly underexposed and then Photoshopped later - I also keep a keen eye on white balance . . . .
When I get back home it's a different matter, using the Canon MP-E on a copy stand, and taking numerous micro-shots is where I have to put the effort in; one of my composite 'plates' can take over 200 shots amounting to some 5Gb of data before stacking and rejecting arrive at the final image generally a 60Mb tiff and a 500Kb jpeg, with the images I have used for the final plate archived as Tiffs - so it can add up to 500Mb per plate :o .

Chris

* I can recommend a brilliant osteopath in Huddersfield . . . .
Having seen a number of the finished plates all I can say is it is worth all the effort, simply first class Chris, one of these days I will find a decent excuse to buy an MP-E .....

John

User avatar
adampembs
Frequent user
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Pembrokeshire
Contact:

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by adampembs » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Wood Wanderer wrote:
Having seen a number of the finished plates all I can say is it is worth all the effort, simply first class Chris..

John
Agreed. Can I have a signed copy when the book comes out ;)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Flaxton
Frequent user
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Flaxton » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:46 pm

Chris is going to need a big print run just for his "friends";)
Mla

User avatar
Wood Wanderer
Frequent user
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:06 pm
Location: Warwick VC38

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Wood Wanderer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Flaxton wrote:Chris is going to need a big print run just for his "friends";)
Mla
So in awe you are having trouble spelling your own name ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Flaxton
Frequent user
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by Flaxton » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Fingers working faster than the brain.
Mal

User avatar
adampembs
Frequent user
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Pembrokeshire
Contact:

Re: Compact/Portable cameras

Post by adampembs » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Camera came, and the tripod is quite solid, but can be pretty low.
P1010769.JPG
Some images I took today. Some are even in focus! Lots of settings...and lots to learn!
Attachments
DSCF2037.JPG
Clavaria fragilis?
DSCF2044.JPG
Lacarria amethystina
DSCF2046.JPG
Lacarria amethystina
DSCF2056.JPG
Inocybe sp
DSCF2063.JPG
Cantharellus sp
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest