Microscope camera

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Microscope camera

Post by adampembs » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:49 pm

Those are nice images, I don't mount my camera, I just hold it over an eyepiece and click(and my microscope is a binocular.) As long as the shutter speed is high enough, I don't get blurry images (at least no more blurry than my eyes!) :cry:

My main reason for a dedicated camera is for size measurements of spores. It's slow measuring with an eyepiece graticule. Stacking is something I would use with ornamented spores.

I see the Nikon D200 is selling quite cheaply ~£120 on Ebay, less than a 10MP microscope camera. The D600 is a lot more expensive ~£750
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Yes, the D200 is a nice camera, but if starting from afresh, you'd be better to get a Canon of similar price and vintage, they were much better at high ISO. However, I mount my camera on the photo port of a trinocular microscope. I have a photo tube that holds a projection eyepiece (x2.5), and a camera adaptor. They cost quite a lot of money, so a dedicated cameras would be cheaper overall. Do dedicated cameras just slide into the eyepiece tube in place of an eyepiece?

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:54 pm

adampembs wrote:. . . My main reason for a dedicated camera is for size measurements of spores. . . .
Hi Adam,

If you were to use Micam software (possibly other scope software would work in a similar manner), provided that you can hold the camera such that you are pretty constant in the field of view you get, then you don't actually need a dedicated camera, or indeed, any camera that's physically attached to the scope.

All you would need to do would be to photograph a stage graticule using each of the objectives. - Put those photos in a folder, then open them in Micam. You can then calibrate Micam for your scope/camera, from each photo (for each objective) in the series.

To calibrate (for each objective), you open the photo, type in the lens magnification, draw a measurement line between two known points, tell Micam the length of the line in microns. store the settings - job done.
x60 objective.jpg
Calibration shot for x60 Objective
Once that's done, you can simply take photos as you have been doing, store them in a folder, open them from your selected folder in the "Measuring Window" in Micam, and add any measurements, scale-bar, etc.
Micam has now been calibrated, so now knows the length of any measurement line it draws, and automatically shows the length in figures, at the end of each measured line. The only thing you have to remember, is to tell it which objective has been used to take the photo.

NB: The above photo is one of the shots that I did to check the calibration. I simply drew a line between the two points on the photo, and Micam said that the distance was 100µ - which was correct, and thus confirmed that Micam was correctly calibrated for the lens in question.

Provided that you can keep the camera in a reasonably constant position relative to the scope, for every photo you take, (and obviously don't alter the zoom etc, etc.), then your measurements will be reasonably accurate.

Might be worth a try in the meantime, until you decide which route you want to take in getting a scope camera?

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am always changing the zoom! The only reliable constants are zero zoom, and I just a circle of the eyepiece, or maximum zoom, which goes in too close sometimes (or doesn't have enough light)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Tucsen 10MP camera en route :-)
Shoosh, don't tell the Mrs...
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:58 pm

adampembs wrote:Tucsen 10MP camera en route :-)
Shoosh, don't tell the Mrs...
From what I've read they can't be beat for the price. Look forward to seeing some photos from it. ;)

If you can get results anything like Chris gets - it might be the prompt I need to make me finally take the plunge and upgrade to one of these for myself!

Regards.
Mike.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 pm

I think the camera cost more than the microscope :-) but didn't want to buy a camera and then regret not spending a bit more.

p.s it will take more than a camera to get results like ChrisY. A better microscope, and decades of experience also needed...
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Well, it finaly arrived but now I have a problem.

I just found out the the camera doesn't work with Micam. Gutted! No twain driver for it.

The supplied software seems ok though.
Attachments
rectangle_New-Out99999-Do Stack[1,0,1].jpg
Russula spores
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:25 pm

adampembs wrote:Well, it finaly arrived but now I have a problem.

I just found out the the camera doesn't work with Micam. Gutted! No twain driver for it.

The supplied software seems ok though.
You could easily use a method similar to that I described above though - (in the post with the graticule image).

Just use your new camera to take a photo of a graticule (with each objective), send them to a folder, open each photo in Micam and calibrate using Micam accordingly.

From then on you can simply take your photos (with the new camera), which will be sent, (presumably automatically) to a chosen folder.

Just open the photos with Micam, where, (because you have now calibrated it for your new camera -microscope objectives combinations), you will have full access to all the usual Micam facilities.

Once calibrated, it shouldn't involve any more hassle than using only one lot of software.
Take the photos via the camera's supplied software - process them via Micam. ;)

Regards,
Mike.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:34 pm

OK thanks, that can work!
Adam Pollard
Site admin