Potassium permanganate 3%

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
Pitufo
Frequent user

Potassium permanganate 3%

Post by Pitufo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:41 pm

A quick share of a new staining technique I hadn't come across before. Good for small hyaline spores.

https://micro-science.co.uk/product/pot ... manganate/

Thank you to Claude Bayet for this suggestion.
Attachments
Rochreleuca_stack9col_cropped.jpg
Russula spores (COL) in 3% KMnO4

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Potassium permanganate 3%

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi

Given that this is a stacked image, with what looks like DIC contrast it's rather difficult to compare this with what most people would see using this technique.

Certainly not as good as MLZ for Russula spores; that image does not show the ± complete reticulum one would expect with R. ochroleuca. Still, it's horses for courses. It would be interesting to see the images taken with a standard light microscope; also shots of different micro-features - clamps for example . . .

Chris
Last edited by Chris Yeates on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 pm

The photo was only to show the colour of the spores.. Russula were the only hyaline ones I had handy.. It isn't meant to replace Melzer's. The technique was recommended for use with very small hyaline spores or strutures which are sometimes hard to see and measure. I guess it just oxidises organic matter brown.

No real DIC involved - I just happened to be playing around last night with "Poor man's DIC" - oblique lighting (or OL) ie a piece of card cut into a crescent shape placed on the field lens (cut from an A4 file divider in 10 seconds). It was my first attempt in a while and I was quite pleased with the results... See attached an unstacked image.

More info on OL http://microscopy-uk.org.uk/dww/articles/oblique.htm

and the more advanced COL http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... pjcol.html

Also a standard brightfield image.
Attachments
Russula_spores_col0126.jpg
Single image (OL)
Russula_spores_single_no_col.jpg
Single image (standard brightfield)
Last edited by Pitufo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Too harsh on my part, for which I apologise (I have amended my previous post). I have found that when stacking mico-images they need a lot of re-touching (I use Zerene's editing program a lot, but I am very - too? - fussy).

It would be interesting to see the effect on other features like cheilocystidia and certain features of asco's like paraphyses (distinguishing between those of Mollisia and those of Pyrenopeziza for example), and ascus bases (present or absence of croziers), etc.

The Poor Man's DIC seems very effective - fooled me at any rate :oops:
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks Chris. I will have a look at some paraphyses and post the results. PM me if you would like some solution for testing.

I have been told that a 5% solution is good for visualising germ pores in basidiomycete spores which is something I have found difficult at times.

John