Buying a microscope - questions

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
Leif
Frequent user

Re: Buying a microscope - questions

Post by Leif » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Chris: I assure you that you do not have a monopoly on making glaring errors. To be honest this whole area is a minefield, as there are few bricks and mortar shops that both sell 'proper' microscopes, and allow you to try before you buy, and there are few if any trustworthy comparative online reviews. I recently attended a microscope workshop at a local fungus group, and one bonus was being able to peek through a range of microscopes. I learnt that my Meiji scope is actually quite decent. Maybe there is a local fungus group near you where you could seek opinions, or try out member's scopes? Of course another benefit is that you would learn more about microscopy. Even though I have been using a scope for 15 years or so, I learnt some useful techniques improving on my rather amateurish (but functional) methods.

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Fungi Europaei vol. X Polyporaceae arrived today from Summerfield Books. :D
Leif wrote:Chris: I assure you that you do not have a monopoly on making glaring errors. To be honest this whole area is a minefield, as there are few bricks and mortar shops that both sell 'proper' microscopes, and allow you to try before you buy, and there are few if any trustworthy comparative online reviews. I recently attended a microscope workshop at a local fungus group, and one bonus was being able to peek through a range of microscopes. I learnt that my Meiji scope is actually quite decent. Maybe there is a local fungus group near you where you could seek opinions, or try out member's scopes? Of course another benefit is that you would learn more about microscopy. Even though I have been using a scope for 15 years or so, I learnt some useful techniques improving on my rather amateurish (but functional) methods.
I might have a chat with Andy Overall on this, or ask if he knows anyone who is nearer to me. He runs the London Fungus Group, which is geohgraphically the closest to where I am based.

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:11 pm

To update, I have contacted Meiji to ascertain a price as that will indicate what range I shall be toying with with the cost. Malcolm Storey's article in Field Mycology 17 (4) has really aided with simplifying a rather complex issue.

I have informally settled on wanting a compound trinocular (so I can attach a dSLR) with an eyepiece graticule, objectives 4x, 10x, 40x and 100x, Kohler illumination, LED lighting with UV filter and infinity focus. I do not know whether investing in a stereo microscope is also wise, to begin with.

Critique away, if anyone has the desire. :D

Ganoderma resinaceum
Regular user

Post by Ganoderma resinaceum » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Picked up my microscpe and camera.

MT5300L (Meiji) - see http://www.meijitechno.co.uk/microscope ... corrected/.
An additional eyepice with micrometer and also a stage micrometer