Unbelievable microscope offer

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Unbelievable microscope offer

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 pm

But not in a good way. I keep an eye open on ebay and other sites in case any bargains appear that might be of interest to UKFungi-ers. I couldn't believe this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAUSCH-LOMB-O ... Swa-dWnsXj It must be a mistake: as far as I can see they haven't even stuck a cheap eyepiece in, the lighting system is non-existent (just a mirror), and judging by the external look of the objectives I wouldn't expect the lenses to be blemish-free . . . .
smh
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Unbelievable microscope offer

Post by adampembs » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 am

At that price, I'd expect it to be the personal microscope of Marie Curie. It looks almost that old.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

flecc
User

Post by flecc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Not long ago Aldi were selling one very similar to that for £35, complete in a case with numerous accessories and a computer coupled camera for optional use in place of the eyepiece.

And this LCD one with measuring scale displaying spores below only cost a quarter of that. Not professional standard gear of course, but usable:
Attachments
LCD Microscope.jpg

Fenwickfield
User

Post by Fenwickfield » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:13 pm

flecc wrote:Not long ago Aldi were selling one very similar to that for £35, complete in a case with numerous accessories and a computer coupled camera for optional use in place of the eyepiece.

And this LCD one with measuring scale displaying spores below only cost a quarter of that. Not professional standard gear of course, but usable:
Looks very interesting
I have just got a second hand microscope but not off ebay my boyfriend found a company who were only 80 miles away as I wanted to see if it worked before he spent the money its old but not full of plastic cogs and has four lenses oil emersion other things which I have not learn how to use yet as I just got it last week for Christmas it also has had a full service and a guarantee its a Watson 70 and I have already managed to identify a couple of things and I am very new to microscopy so maybe its worth looking for a dealer near to you instead of ebay.

Sheila