microscopes

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
BeeJayTea
User

microscopes

Post by BeeJayTea » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:03 pm

It seems that I really should get myself a microscope for examining spores and I would appreciate suggestions as to what to look for, particularly in terms of a reliable make and the degree of magnification required. I suspect that, in money terms, there is a wide range, but if I say mid price, it would be about right. Perhaps someone might know a second hand supplier that might get me something better.
Thanks for any help
Barry

Waxcap
Frequent user

Re: microscopes

Post by Waxcap » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi,
There's a section for microscope related posts. It may be better to post in that section. What budget you have is an important starting place.

Dave

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Perhaps this discussion would be useful
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=106
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 pm

For hyphae you need something like a 40x objective, and for spores a 100x objective, which with a 10x eyepiece gives 400x and 1000x. The problem with second hand is finding a reliable seller. Brunel Microscopes are probably the most reliable source of new and used as they will give you decent advice. You can get cheaper on ebay, but bear in mind that my last two purchases of microscope cover slips both came from ebay - bought at the same time - and both were unusable, whereas those from BM are always good quality. I cannot give any recommendations, except that if you have the money, a used instrument from Leitz/Olympus/Nikon/Zeiss will offer high quality but at a price. You want a bright field microscope, at least for starters.

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:26 pm

I hope nobody minds me doing a bit of shameless self-promotion - we also have a range of Euromex scopes here www.micro-science.co.uk

Cheers,

John

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Pitufo wrote:I hope nobody minds me doing a bit of shameless self-promotion - we also have a range of Euromex scopes here www.micro-science.co.uk

Cheers,

John

Not a problem for me, it's relevant and your services are useful to our community. :)
I'm happy for vouch for Micro - science, especially for the good range of stains and reagents.
Adam Pollard
Site admin