How to upload images - "File too large" message.

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
adampembs
Frequent user

How to upload images - "File too large" message.

Post by adampembs » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Please take a moment to read the FAQs. These cover:
  • How to upload images -
  • How to resize and compress images - and not get "file too large" message.
  • The information needed to identify fungi
FAQs - you need to be logged in too see these
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Paul Seligman
User

Re: How to upload images - "File too large" message.

Post by Paul Seligman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 am

I'm well aware of how to resize images - what i can't see in FAQ is how big is too big? I just resized a pic down to 1280x1270, which is under 1MB, and it still says 'file too large'.

Frankly, even if I could upload that, the ability to zoom in and see fine detail which might be needed for ID would be lost; the image would pixellate. If I have to reduce to a thumbnail size it would be pointless to upload at all.

Is there a way around this? EG posting a link to a higher resolution image on another site or on Dropbox?

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:16 am

It's the size in KB that is important. There is no reason why an image 1280 x 1270 needs to be 1MB. This attached image is more than twice the size in pixels ie 1136 x 3264 (and is highly compressed so is small enough (under 400k)
Attachments
Hypocreopsis2.jpg
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Paul Seligman
User

Post by Paul Seligman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:06 am

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Adam. The file size of the image in question is 979KB, less than 1 MB as I stated. I realise the different compression techniques can affect physical file size.

What you haven't said is what size is OK if 979KB is 'too large'. That's a pretty small file for a photo these days.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:00 pm

Paul Seligman wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear, Adam. The file size of the image in question is 979KB, less than 1 MB as I stated. I realise the different compression techniques can affect physical file size.

What you haven't said is what size is OK if 979KB is 'too large'. That's a pretty small file for a photo these days.
Hi Paul, and welcome to UK Fungi.

The maximum file size accepted by UK Fungi for images uploaded to the site is 400KB ( As explained in this thread: - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1 ).

400KB may seem small when compared to some websites, (especially "photography" sites which are geared up to specifically showcase photographs), but it is more than adequate, and allows images to be of suitably large size to show any necessary detail.

( Several well known professional mycologists contribute to UK Fungi, and none has ever complained of any problem with regard to any inadequacy of UK Fungi's image upload provisions. :) ).

e.g. Typical images of Chris's, picked at random: - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14&start=370#p4780
Click on each image, and then, when the image opens, click on it again to view at full size.
i.e. Chris's Aleuria aurantia composite-image here is more than 2000x1600 pixels in size, and still comes in as an upload file at less than 400KB ;)

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Paul Seligman
User

Post by Paul Seligman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:23 pm

OK, thanks, Mike. I'll try one or two when I have time. Obviously another step - resizing - is a disincentive when one is flat out.

I am a passionate collector and submitter if biodiversity brecrods but not confident about many similar looking fungi.,. although I have several reference books. I haven't had much success in getting them ID-ed from photos and I appreciate that many do require microscopic work, which is a stage too far for me when it;''s just one of very many interests that I have (not just in nature).

I found iSpot useless for fungi, most images never get a single response. My local friendly fungus group will usually get a response or two, but very rarely an Id, even when I submit clear photos of cap, stem, underside etc. This may be partly due to the level of expertise in the group, of course. I'm on point of abandoning fungi altogether, but as I stumbles on this forum thought Id try again.....

As a a pure experiment, I'm going to try a link here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_seli ... ateposted/ which woudl be a faster way for me to share, but maybe slower for the potential identifiers.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Paul Seligman wrote:. . . . . . .As a a pure experiment, I'm going to try a link here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_seli ... ateposted/ which woudl be a faster way for me to share, but maybe slower for the potential identifiers.
Hi,

Whilst linking to images on other sites is not currently prohibited on UK Fungi, it is discouraged from the point of view that such linked images may, at any future time, be removed or changed for something else - which will at best render the thread here invalid, and potentially worse!

Whilst it is accepted that images might also be subsequently removed even when directly uploaded here, for consistency, we encourage everyone contributing to the site to actually upload their images to UK Fungi. (Note that unlike some other sites, UK Fungi makes no claims whatsoever on uploaded images, so full copyright remains fairly and squarely with the original owner of the image).

I agree that there is an extra step involved with resizing, and that it is easier to use external links, but linking out to other sites a disincentive for some regular UK Fungi contributors users who might otherwise respond.

Everyone has their own opinions on the matter, but I personally, never bother to look at external images, as I am of the opinion that if people don't want to make the effort to upload here, then I won't bother looking at those other sites where they have uploaded. ;) :)

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Paul Seligman
User

Post by Paul Seligman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:23 pm

OK, I understand ,your point of view.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Some sites (eg Facebook) reduce or compress images following upload (and delete the original ridiculously big file, eg a 4MB crappy image from a phone.) Currently, our software doesn't have that facility and as i pay for the hosting out of my pocket, it's not just a point of view, but a monthly direct debit. I have a storage quota. I think we are now all spoilt by "fibre broadband" that the "jpeg compressed file format" is not being used in it's intended way, i.e to compress images. I can understand it can be confusing for new users of the internet or people who aren't very technical, hence the FAQs and I hope some day, to implement an "on-the-fly" compression upload facility like with Facebook, so people don't have to learn about manipulating and exporting (compressing) images.

The other reason why it's good to upload images here, is the image gallery - see this post http://fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=644
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Paul Seligman
User

Post by Paul Seligman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Sorry, Adam, I wasn't trying to disagree or offend in any way when I said 'point of view'. I didn't know you paid for the site or indeed anything about you. That's a great service you perform. Could you ask for small donations from users to offset the present and intended costs?Nothing heavy, just add a Donate button to the banner, and have the occasional reminder?