Large fungus with a "lobed" cap

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
jimmymac2
Frequent user

Large fungus with a "lobed" cap

Post by jimmymac2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Found by the side of the road near Oak, Birch and Hazel.
DSCN8413.jpg
Cap
DSCN8414.jpg
Gills
Site001 - Large Lobed Fungus - Spores001 - Measured.jpg
Site001 - Large Lobed Fungus - Spores001 - Unmeasured.jpg
Always keep your eyes open... :shock:

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Large fungus with a "lobed" cap

Post by adampembs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Entoloma sp. - you should get a dirty pink spore print.
(you see what I mean about the spores)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks Adam, how can I tell the species?
And have I missed something? I'm not sure what you mean... :oops: if it's about the greenish tint then yes... :oops:

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:36 pm

There's a page on Entoloma characters here http://www.entoloma.nl/html/entinrtoeng.html where you can see some of the main features of the genus. One important feature is the spore colour. There aren't too many genera with pink spores so a spore print would have helped narrow down the options. That and the angular shape of the spores indicates an Entoloma. Of course if you aren't familiar with the genus you need to use a key. Have you got a key to genera yet?

To find the species you need a "key" to Entoloma. I use the key in Funga Nordica but it's a tough genus and there are times when I give up in frustration. I'm not sure there are any free keys on the internet.

Dave

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:55 pm

No key yet, but I'm going to a stall which my fungus group has set up at Winkworth Arboretum to see which is best. All in good time! :)

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:58 pm

I couldn't detect a smell on either or them, but maybe that's because they've been sitting in my kitchen all day. I've bruised a bit and I'll see what colour it changes in the morning. What do I look at under the microscope and how do I look at it?

Leif
Frequent user

Post by Leif » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:01 pm

jimmymac2 wrote:I couldn't detect a smell on either or them, but maybe that's because they've been sitting in my kitchen all day. I've bruised a bit and I'll see what colour it changes in the morning. What do I look at under the microscope and how do I look at it?
I have a few introductory notes on microscopy on my web site. They might help. The URL is in my signature.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:10 pm

jimmymac2 wrote:Thanks Adam, how can I tell the species?
And have I missed something? I'm not sure what you mean... :oops: if it's about the greenish tint then yes... :oops:
I was talking about the PM I sent you today about the Entoloma I thought was a Mycena because I didn't wait for a spore print and look at the spores. Entoloma often have spores that look 5-7 sided from the top. Its best if you have at least two specimens. With one specimen you can put a cap on a slide, cover it, wait for a couple of hours and then check the spores. It wont be enough for a good spore print, but there should be enough spores to see under the scope, and it can sometimes get you to genus (eg Entoloma/Inocybe) without leaving overnight for a spore print.
Adam Pollard
Site admin