Bolete ID Please! :)

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Bolete ID Please! :)

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:52 pm

jimmymac2 wrote: . . . I think my problem now is the fact that I don't know how long 0.01mm is on a 0.01mm scale!! There isn't a label saying "this length is 0.01mm" or anything like that.
The stage graticule will be 1mm in total length, and will probably be divided into 100 segments. (see images below).

There won't be any measurement numerals shown, as the scale is too tiny to engrave them.

However, 1mm = 1000µ, and one segment width on a graticule divided into 100 segments will be equal to 10µ.

So, if you draw a measurement line that is the width of one segment, the software should say that the line is 10µ in length.

If you draw a measurement line between 20 segments, the software should say that the line is 200µ in length.

If you draw a measurement line between 30 segments, the software should say that the line is 300µ in length.

If you draw a measurement line between 50 segments, the software should say that the line is 500µ in length.

Note that in my photo, the line that should read 500µ is out by 2µ, as it is saying 498µ.
(Maybe inaccurate calibration - or more likely, I didn't draw the measurement line between the segments accurately enough!).

NB: When calibrating, it is always best to measure as much of the graticule length as possible, rather than measuring between just a few segments. That way, there will be less margin of error.
Note also that if you start your measurement line at the left hand edge of a segment mark-line, then you should finish the line at the left hand edge of the relevant mark-line. (Otherwise you will actually be measuring the correct distance plus the thickness of one mark-line, making your calibration slightly inaccurate).

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
x10.jpg
Full width of graticule is 1mm
and it is divided into 100 x 10µ segments.
x20.jpg
x40.jpg
Common sense is not so common.

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks Mike, this is incredibly useful. I'll try to do all this on the weekend when I'll be back to microscopy. It's not easy starting out!
Always keep your eyes open... :shock:

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello,

besides the problems with the spore size measurements (they are too small this time), your fungus is either faded X. rubellus or X. engelii - the only two species with orange dots in the stipe base. Which one of these I can't say, and my personal opinion is anyway that they are not separable on species level at least.

best regards,
Andreas

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks Andreas, but that's a bit of a shame! I'll just keep my eyes open for more species this autumn!
James

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Mike, I recalibrated again, but my spore measurements seem quite big still.
Does this look a bit too big for you? It was a medium sized soil fungus.
Site001 - Fungus010 - Spores002 - Measured (but not reliable).jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:50 pm

These are different spores to your bolete. Why not recheck your bolete spores photo?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:01 pm

I just did! They seem normal!! I'm overjoyed!
Site003 - Fungus001 - Spores005 - Measured.jpg
Site003 - Fungus001 - Spores006 - Measured.jpg
Site003 - Fungus001 - Spores007 - Measured.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:08 pm

..and did you check them against the sizes given on boletales.com for the species Andreas mentioned?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:17 pm

...Too big for X. rubellus, but X. engelii isn't mentioned. I assume that when Andreas says that they can't be separated on species level that means that the spore size is the same, if so then I am very annoyed! :x

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Just recalibrated again :roll: and I got much more normal results, I think this one is correct -
Site003 - Fungus001 - Spores008 - Measured (more reliable).jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 pm

jimmymac2 wrote:Mike, I recalibrated again, but my spore measurements seem quite big still.
Does this look a bit too big for you? It was a medium sized soil fungus.
Site001 - Fungus010 - Spores002 - Measured (but not reliable).jpg
Hi Jimmy,

I can't confirm whether your spores look right or not based on criteria like "It was a medium sized soil fungus" :D
Spore size can vary dramatically depending on the species of fungus - some fungi have very small spores, some have (in comparison) very large spores.

I assume that you are aware that every time you do spore measurements using your scope-cam and Toupview, you will need to check that Toupview knows which objective lens was used for the photo concerned - or it won't show you the correct measurements.

(e.g. - if you took the photo with a x40 objective, but had Toupview set for x20 objective, then the measurements you get will be twice as big as they should be!).

To be sure that you have calibrated your scope correctly, as I mentioned in previous post, you need to re-photograph the stage graticule, with each objective, and then draw measurement lines on those graticule photos with Toupview - just like the example photos in my previous post.

It would be reassuring for everyone here if you would do just that. Post a photo of the graticule with the measurement lines and figures showing.
If you have four objectives, then 4 - photos will be needed. - When we see them, we can confirm whether or not your calibration is correct.

Let's see those graticule pics! :D ;)

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Post by jimmymac2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Ok Mike, they aren't exact but it's close enough, eh? ;)
Graticule at 40x.jpg
40x
Graticule at 100x.jpg
100x
Graticule at 400x.jpg
400x
Sorry but I don't have enough time to get the oil out - I've only used 1000x once anyway (and that was a test to see if I could do it!)