Small Brown Mushrooms on Waterlogged Branch

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Small Brown Mushrooms on Waterlogged Branch

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Found last Saturday, but not getting anywhere with ID.

Growing on a small fallen Betula branch which was half submerged in the shallows of a woodland brook.

Caps to 25mm in diameter, stipes to 35mm tall.
Caps had an almost greasy sort of texture.
Gills had distinctive "branching" (Not sure what the technical word for this would be - but I don't think anastomosing fits what's going on here).

Spore print white, Spores elliptical, hyaline, smooth, with droplets, average size (30 spores) 7.5 x 5µ

The caps of the two I brought home were very soft at the outset, and felt like many mushrooms do when they are beginning to rot - which these promptly did during Sunday night - Monday morning.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
Unidentified(a) - 220815.jpg
Unidentified from 22nd Aug. 2015
Growing on Betula twig in stream.
Unidentified(b) - 220815.jpg
Unidentified from 22nd Aug. 2015.
Note the unusual branching of lamellae.
Common sense is not so common.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Small Brown Mushrooms on Waterlogged Branch

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi Mike
difficult without micro-characters; could it be a Tubaria acting oddly (hence decaying rapidly) to the semi-aquatic habitat? Here is an image with gills doing a little bit like yours: http://www.commanster.eu/commanster/Mus ... persa2.jpg. Ah, just noticed the hyaline spores bit - I'll have to think about it . . . .

Might "irregularly bifurcating" be the phrase you're searching for (though that does sound rather like a problem with the lower digestive tract :oops: ).

cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi Chris,

Tubaria was one of my thoughts, as we do regularly find T.furfuracea in the area.

With the perimeter circle of veilar remnants, and with the larger specimens being faintly striate at the cap margins, I thought T.furfuracea looked quite likely (even allowing for the strange cap texture and gill "bifurcating" ;).

But that still leaves the spores.
They are right in every characteristic - shape, size, smooth walls, etc. etc. - except for colour.
The spore print wasn't great, as the amount of spores dropped was poor - but it was taken on a micro-slide which was placed above a black card.
I could concede that the print might have been off-white/creamy, but definitely not brown, and via transmitted light they were, (to my eye), colourless.

One for the U.F.O. folder I suspect. :D

Regards,
Mike.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:33 pm

They look like Rhodocollybia butyracea... except for the gills being a bit dark and I've not seen it on wood before. Spores match.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 pm

Were there any cheilocystidia? With the spores a close match (except colour), if you had corroborating evidence of cysidia of the right size and shape also, you would be on safer ground calling it a Tubaria: it certainly looks like Tubaria furfuracea to me.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:56 pm

adampembs wrote:They look like Rhodocollybia butyracea... except for the gills being a bit dark and I've not seen it on wood before. Spores match.
I don't think they do Adam Rhodocollybia butyracea would have a faintly but distinctly coloured spore print. You're correct about the gill colour, in that species it's generally white to dirty cream; also the gills are much more numerous/crowded and have a completely different attachment. Cap colour totally wrong for either variety, and it wouldn't have veil remnants around the cap margin. Plus, as you say the habitat is wrong.
best
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:20 pm

Chris Yeates wrote: I don't think they do Adam Rhodocollybia butyracea would have a faintly but distinctly coloured spore print. You're correct about the gill colour, in that species it's generally white to dirty cream; also the gills are much more numerous/crowded and have a completely different attachment. Cap colour totally wrong for either variety, and it wouldn't have veil remnants around the cap margin. Plus, as you say the habitat is wrong.
best
Chris
..but apart from those reasons.. :P :oops:
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:36 pm

roy betts wrote:Were there any cheilocystidia? With the spores a close match (except colour), if you had corroborating evidence of cysidia of the right size and shape also, you would be on safer ground calling it a Tubaria: it certainly looks like Tubaria furfuracea to me.
Hi Roy / All,

Thanks for your replies and thoughts on this.

Unfortunately I didn't get round to doing a full microscopy session on the two samples before they rotted.
(The sporeprint/spores were retrieved from the micro-slide upon which a by then very smelly and putrid looking sample was sitting :oops: ).

Even without the full "evidence", and with the spores discrepency - but with the replies now received, I'm tending back towards T.furfuracea once again.
But I won't be entering it on the records I submit!

Regards,
Mike.