Peziza badia?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Peziza badia?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:16 pm

Found on Saturday. - Growing in stony soil adjacent to a surfaced woodland path. (Oak, Beech, Alder, Birch, & Holly, in the immediate vicinity).
Largest of fruitbodies shown approx. 25mm diameter. (Largest fruitbodies seen were approx. 30-35mm diameter).
Growing flat against the substrate with no stalk. (P.badia seen previously has been much more obviously cup shaped).
Flesh brittle - fruitbodies breaking easily into smaller fragments.
"Juice" from torn flesh of fruitbodies leaves a very weak yellowish stain on white tissue when dry.

Paraphyses septate, to about the same length as the asci, and with slightly clavate tips.
Asci 8 spored, J+ in Melzers.
Spores are about the right size for P.badia, but appeared to be more "echinulate" than "reticulate".

The spores don't seem to be quite what would be expected - but I can't find any other likely candidate.
Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
Peziza.jpg
Peziza
Peziza Hymenium x200 with scale.jpg
Peziza hymenium (squash)
Peziza Asci x200 with scale.jpg
Peziza asci
Peziza Paraphyses x200 with scale.jpg
Peziza asci & Paraphyses
Peziza Ascus x400 with scale.jpg
Peziza ascus in water
Peziza Spores x600 measured.jpg
Peziza spores x600
Common sense is not so common.

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Peziza badia?

Post by mollisia » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello Mike,

surely not Peziza badia, shape and colour is wrong for it.
We should see the spore ornamentation to suggest other species. Therefore you need to make a preparation in cotton blue (several minutes of soaking, or better heating of the preparation without boiling) and have a look at 1000x magnification.

best regards,
Andreas

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.
I've done as you suggested, and photographed the spores in Lactophenol Cotton Blue at x1000 (Oil immersion).

The first shot is an attempted focus stack of 5 images - which I thought might give a better idea of the ornamentation, but my microscope camera does not give great results - so I'm not sure.

The second and third images are just single shots, focussed to try to show the ornamentation, so the major part of the spores are blurry.

I'm now convinced that the ornamentation is more reticulate than echinulate - but still not what would be expected for P.badia.

I still can't find any details for a Peziza that fits all the characteristics of this find.

With these additional spore images, do you have any further suggestions?

Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
Peziza Spores x1000 stack measured.jpg
Peziza spores x1000 (stack of 5 images)
Peziza Spores x1000 (1).jpg
Peziza spores x1000 (single shot)
Peziza Spores x1000 (2).jpg
Peziza spores x1000 (single shot)

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Hello,

I have no literature with me at the moment, but what about Peziza michelii?

best regards,
Andreas

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks Andreas.

P.mitchelii looks to be a good fit when it's in its more disc like form.
Certainly the spores look spot on for that species.

Best regards,
Mike.