Russula species?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Russula species?

Post by Bob Hazell » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:06 pm

I found this solitary fungus today whilst walking in Wappenbury Wood near Coventry. Although mixed woodland this fungus was in an area of deciduous trees. Unfortunately its centre had been eaten/removed. The cap was approx. 4cms across and a deep wine/brown colour - the red wine appearing more obvious at the edge. The stipe was short and white as were the gills. Is it possible to identify the species with this limited information?
P1470363web.jpg
P1470367web.jpg
P1470371web.jpg

marc t
User

Re: Russula species?

Post by marc t » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am

Hi Bob

It looks like a charcoal burner to me.

Marc

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Re: Russula species?

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks for responding Marc. I appreciate with limited information you can not be 100% certain - charcoal burner was one of the possibilities I was considering. Thanks again for your better informed opinion.