Brittlestem, Fibrecap or something else

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Huma
Regular user

Brittlestem, Fibrecap or something else

Post by Huma » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 am

I have spent some considerable time browsing various field guides but all I have achieved is more confusion. I would value your help with identification. These fungi were found in a shady corner of my garden, on soil (not on grass as with one photo), near the stump of an old cherry tree, with a conifer nearby. I am clutching at straws when I suggest Psathyrella sp. Another contender is some type of Inocybe. Many thanks if you are able to help. Hugh
Attachments
IMG_8154.JPG
IMG_8156.JPG
IMG_8158.JPG

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Brittlestem, Fibrecap or something else

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:58 am

Hi Hugh
It's always worth making a spore-print; happily on this occasion the fungus has done that for you. The colour of that spore-print rules out Inocybe, I think Psathyrella is a good shout. Personally I would always check a Psathyrella microscopically, but this looks like a good candidate for Psathyrella candolleana.
That's not an authoratitive identification I hasten to add - I am not that familiar with the genus.
HTH
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:29 am

I'd also say that this clustered growth habit would point me away from Inocybe. Maybe there there exceptions, but I've not seen Inocybes so clustered as this, with caps overlapping.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Huma
Regular user

Post by Huma » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi Chris and Adam, Many thanks for your replies. I am pleased that my very amateur attempt at identification is at least getting a little more refined. With good wishes to you both, Hugh