ID Help Please

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
merchant73
User

ID Help Please

Post by merchant73 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi some help with these please as I just not sure. I thought were Horse Mushroom but now confused. Found under both Purple Beech & Magnolia Trees in Hampshire
IMG_7135.jpg
IMG_7207.jpg
IMG_7205.jpg
IMG_7141.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: ID Help Please

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Hi
horse mushrooms as a member of the genus Agaricus, have free gills - i.e. they don't reach the stem apex; always the first thing to check.
This fungus is an Agrocybe; in this instance what trees they are growing under is less important than what they are growing on - wood-chips.
There are a couple of candidates, and microscopy can be useful here, but on wood-chips and with the characteristically cracking cap I would suggest Agrocybe dura - compare with https://www.biolib.cz/en/image/id200846/
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

merchant73
User

Re: ID Help Please

Post by merchant73 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 am

Hi Chris,
Many thanks for your kind assistance I was miles away on that !!