ID please-various woodland mushrooms

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
huxleysdoors
New user

ID please-various woodland mushrooms

Post by huxleysdoors » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Hello all,
I was out walking my dog in the woods yesterday and came across various mushrooms. Some help identifying them would be appreciated. I'm in south east UK and there's been rain most nights which seems to make it damp 24/7 under the maple alder pine and willow trees. I'm new here so not sure what info to give to make life easier for anyone looking/trying to ID ?

Thanks in advance for any help figuring out what these are.
rsz_dsc_0202.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (11).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (12).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: ID please-various woodland mushrooms

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 am

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

No.1
Looks like a rather old and dry example of one of the Lactarius (Milkcap) species.
Are they drops of whitish "milk" that can be seen on the gill shot? (Can't decide whether it's that or maybe tiny whitish stones).
Either way, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to which species it might be.

No.2
Has the right general looks for Entoloma sericeum - Silky Pinkgill
See: - https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/ento ... riceum.php

No.3
Is a Mycena - which, (like many fungi), are notoriously difficult to identify just from photos.
However the tall thin stem does narrow things down a bit, so it could be something like Mycena vitilis - Snapping Bonnet.

huxleysdoors wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:28 pm
. . . I'm new here so not sure what info to give to make life easier for anyone looking/trying to ID ?
You've actually provided more info/photos than a lot of people do, but for future reference, this post gives the type of information which would go a long way towards enabling best chance of confident ID's: -
http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: ID please-various woodland mushrooms

Post by adampembs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:16 am

First one is definitely a Lactarius. To get further, you need to taste the milk and the flesh, note the milk colour and watch for colour change on drying. It might be orange and go darker or go a bit greenish.

I would like to suggest not picking so many specimens but leave them behind for others to see, and for the benefit of wildlife. They are a food source and it allows them to spread their spores. Best if you only take one or two.

regards,
Adam Pollard
Site admin