Chantarelle or not

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Flaxton
Frequent user

Chantarelle or not

Post by Flaxton » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:40 pm

After all these years I really should know the difference by now but can people tell me what they think about these.
Img_3780a.jpg
True Chantarelle?
Chantarell not on 15th.JPG
Hygrophoropsis Aurantiaca var pallida.jpg
Hygrophoropsis var pallida or Cantharellus pallens?
PA141072.JPG
Unsure in situ
PA151077.JPG
Unsure top
PA151078.JPG
Unsure gills
Thanks
Mal

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Chantarelle or not

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Andreas' word will be the best but I think the top one is Cantharellus cibarius, and the others all appear to be Hygrophoropsis taxa - I'm intrigued by image #3.
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks Chris. I am pleased you agree with what I thought but I had someone say the last one(three photos) was a true Chantarelle. I will wait to see if Andreas has any thoughts.
I called the third one H var pallida but that was before I had even heard of fuscosquamula and macrospora.
Mal

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Chris
The spores of the third specimen were dextrinoid and the wrong size for Cantherellus so unless Andreas disagrees I am sticking with Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca.
Mal
IS_299.jpg
IS_300.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:01 am

Flaxton wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:12 pm
Thanks Chris. I am pleased you agree with what I thought but I had someone say the last one(three photos) was a true Chantarelle. I will wait to see if Andreas has any thoughts.
I called the third one H var pallida but that was before I had even heard of fuscosquamula and macrospora.
Mal
That last photograph shows repeatedly forking true gills - definitely Hygrophoropsis
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks again Chris.
Mal