mushroom identification Coprinellus micaceus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
robert
New user

mushroom identification Coprinellus micaceus

Post by robert » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 pm

hi I am new to fungi and wanted to know if my identification was correct i came across these mushrooms yesterday and through a little research I am thinking these are mica mushrooms (Coprinellus micaceus) would I be correct in saying that these mushrooms are from the ink cap family and would these of been used for writing at some stage? I took a spore print which was jet black and the mushrooms by this time had turned to soggy mush!!! Is this a correct identification? Thank you in advance for any help. Robert 😊
Attachments
IMAG2185.jpg
IMAG2186.jpg
IMAG2234.jpg
IMAG2238.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: mushroom identification Coprinellus micaceus

Post by adampembs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 am

I can't see the mica-like particles on the surface in those photos. There are a couple of lookalikes. Common inkcaps - Coprinopsis atramentaria (no mica-like particles on cap) and the Firerug Inkcap - Coprinellus domesticus (with similar particles (we call a veil) but with a ginger coloured mat that is not always visible, you might have to look under the bark.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: mushroom identification Coprinellus micaceus

Post by adampembs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:37 am

You only need to collect one to do a spore print, but well done on doing this important step. Best to leave the rest behind so they can get on with their job of reproducing - and spread their spores.
Adam Pollard
Site admin