Help with Amanita identification please?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Moonlite1
New user

Help with Amanita identification please?

Post by Moonlite1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi there :) today when I was out in the woods I found these mushrooms, they look like some type of Amanita but I’ve never seen anything like them before. I found them under a pine tree (not sure of the exact species) l, I didn’t notice any particular smell of them. I don’t think they’re blushers, they didn’t bruise pink when damaged. Any help would be massively appreciated!
Attachments
D4A98A91-8FBC-47AE-A14D-A82896A76614.jpeg
92E94CD4-3BD8-457B-B461-8BA60C77F257.jpeg
9CCAC59D-250B-4FA8-9F34-ACBDBC01C47C.jpeg
85AFA3DD-3914-4742-9280-E8B0301A310F.jpeg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Help with Amanita identification please?

Post by adampembs » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:02 pm

They look like Death Caps to me but a shot of the base in situ would help to see an intact volva
Why did you collect them all? If they are Death Cap, it is a rare species and depriving it of its ability to spread spores is not very environmentally friendly.

regards
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello,

Death Caps would have a volva, which should be well visible in such careful collected specimens. Also the prominent ring that hangs down like a skirt from just below the gills is very significant - for Amanita excelsa/spissa, which is the species on the fotos in fact.

best regards,
Andreas

Moonlite1
New user

Post by Moonlite1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:14 am

Thank you so much for replies :) yeah I think you’re right about it being a. excelsa. The reason I picked a few was I thought having a few specimens would make it easier to identify, though you’re right, I should leave plenty to spore, I won’t make that mistake again :)