ID help Black mushroom

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
globalmark
New user

ID help Black mushroom

Post by globalmark » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Guys

trying to ID couple mushrooms - tried Apps and lots websites but nothing looks the same so any help would be great -

Black mushroom grows in Local woods behind common in West Sussex - they seem to be anywhere from 5cm -12cm diameter and spaced 1 mushroom every foot apart , with the area has maybe 50 or so ..
they pushing up through leaf litter as in Picture

brown mushroom - as show growing couple meters away from the black mushrooms on log as shown also ..
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: ID help Black mushroom

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Hello and welcome to UK Fungi
Do have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49.

Yes, apps and books can often only take you so far. One thing is they tend to feature photogenic species at their optimum appearance. You have a couple of rather old examples.

Not a genus I deal with much, but your blackening one is very distinctive: Russula nigricans. The distinctive features are:
  • the blackening, generally proceeding from its original dull white, through reddish to this "burnt" stage.
    the rather widely spaced gills (for a Russula)
    the thick gills (for a Russula)
    the presence of intermediate gills which don't reach the stem. Most Russula species do not show this character.
The brown one is too far gone in my opinion, I have a couple of thoughts, but not being able to see the gills or more of the stems I wouldn't want to comment. Which takes us back to that thread (link above).

Regards
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi and welcome to UK Fungi,

I agree with what Chris has said.

My initial suspicion was that the brown ones may be one of the Honey Fungus Species - but they do look quite small, so Chris is obviously right not to comment as they may well be another species altogether.

Interestingly, the third image appears to show one of the "Piggyback" fungi species (Looks like Silky Piggyback - Asterophora parasitica from what I can make out), attacking the cap of the Russula nigricans. (Two or three small white mushrooms visible on the blackened cap of the Russula).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:25 pm

The third photo also seems to be showing the start of Asterophora parasitica a small fungi that grows on the rotting fruitbodies of Russula especially R nigricans.
Mal
Ps I would guess Hypholoma fasciculare for the brown ones