Another Russula...

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Deborah
User

Another Russula...

Post by Deborah » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Hello. Asking for ID help for another Russula. (Kibby's book is on my wish list).
Found this today after much needed rain. Highest point of badly drained meadow. Under a solitary oak. Thanks for any replies.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Another Russula...

Post by adampembs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 pm

For Kibby's key, we need spore print (pure white, creamy or beige), taste and extent of peeling of cap. Also any smell.
The presence of dermatocystidia also is part of the key but I assume you dont have a microscope / stains / technical knowledge to do this at present so we can try without that part of it.

regards
Adam Pollard
Site admin

NickWood
Regular user

Post by NickWood » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 am

As Adam says, Kibby's book is a must. It's well-laid out and very easy to use. I found it a little difficult to track down on the internet, and there's some confusion about older and newer editions (Amazon seemed to suggest the new edition was only a supplement).
I got my copy of The Genus Russula in Great Britain: with Synoptic Keys to Species, Kibby, G. (2017) for £21.95 from summerfieldbooks.com
And a microscope is a must, too.
All the best... Nick

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am

Hello,

this such a typical Russula vesca that you can spare the time for microscoping.
If you nevertheless want to prove the determination microscopically, it is enough to look for the so-called Crins in the cap surface. These are slightly thickwalled, pointed, seta-like "needles". You need to do th thin cut of the cap surface ("skalp") and look for these elements. Only Russula vesca and Russula heterophylla have them, none of the other Russula.

best regards,
Andreas