large Lepiota from Ainsdale

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
John Watt
User

large Lepiota from Ainsdale

Post by John Watt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello,
Last Sunday, we (NWFG with Tony Carter) at Ainsdale, found what we initially thought might be a Chlorophyllum - partly on account of its size (cap 70mm) and free gills.
The spore print however immediately took it to a member of the Stenospora group within Lepiota, and despite using Funga Nordica, B&K ,Moser, and Bon, I can't be sure of the identity. The smell was a bit weak though something between L. cristata and something sweeter; Gills free as mentioned and forking. The annulus was rather evanescent but with cogwheel elements.
The spores measured 7.1 x 2.9, strongly dextrinoid. Cystidia rather pyriform 31 x 17 mc. Pellis with elongated hyphae with multiple clamps. I have the specimen still in fridge before I dry it in case of it being a rarity !!

If anyone has access to another key that could help. I did refer to Toft's piece from Field Mycology a few years back.

Cheers,

John
Attachments
Lepiota cap Ainsdale.v01.JPG
Lepiota stipe  Ainsdale.v01.JPG
Lepiota dextrinoid spores.v01.jpg
Lepiota Ainsdale cystidia.v01.jpg
Lepiota Ainsdale pellis clamps3.v01.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: large Lepiota from Ainsdale

Post by mollisia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:33 pm

Hello,

in my opinion this is Lepiota (Echinoderma) aspera.

The cuticule is typical for Echinoderma spp., and the spore size as well as the very crowded gills suit perfect for L. aspera.

best regards,
Andreas