Destroying angel?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
fungible
User

Destroying angel?

Post by fungible » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 pm

What's that about all mushrooms being edible at least once?

I found this on a steep, sandy hill beside a road, under broadleaf trees in early November a couple of years ago (note: the third picture doesn't show a bite taken out of the cap - this is how I found it!):

Destroying Angel 3.jpg
Destroying Angel 1.jpg
Destroying Angel 4.jpg
Destroying Angel 6.jpg

Pure white everything, crowded, free gills (sorry about the section, the cap broke from the stem), growing out of a volva. Around 10cm tall, 8cm wide cap.

Amanita Virosa (Destroying Angel)?

Many thanks
Last edited by adampembs on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin edit of title - a more hepful title

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Destroying angel?

Post by Flaxton » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:58 am

This looks like A citrina var alba to me. Any aroma?

fungible
User

Post by fungible » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:21 am

I don't recall it smelling of anything. I remember remarking to my son how unusual it was that something so deadly (I'd assumed Destroying Angel) could give so little indication of its danger.

I had considered A Citrina, but all the pics I saw had veil remnants. This had none - unfortunately, I didn't take a photo from the top, but from memory what looks like remnants is insect damage. I know that isn't conclusive.

Now that I look closer, the stipe does seem a little chunkier than most A Virosa photos, which perhaps puts it more in the A Citrina camp.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 am

A. citrina has an aroma of raw potatoes. Its quite distinctive. Its also not toxic :)

A virosa should have a sac-like volva rather than a bulbous base. I can see the white velar remnants on the cap.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 am

Welcome to UK Fungi btw. What a beautiful mushroom!
Adam Pollard
Site admin

fungible
User

Post by fungible » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 am

adampembs wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 am
A. citrina has an aroma of raw potatoes. Its quite distinctive. Its also not toxic :)

A virosa should have a sac-like volva rather than a bulbous base. I can see the white velar remnants on the cap.
I should have looked more closely at the photos rather than relying on my memory. You're right, it definitely looks like veil remnants on the cap.

Here's another photo of the base:

Destroying A 5.jpg

Lots of insect damage but now I look closer it seems you're probably right about the lack of volva.

I'm still reasonably sure there was no smell, but maybe I shouldn't be relying on my clearly poor memory!

Thanks for the replies.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 pm

adampembs wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 am
Welcome to UK Fungi btw. What a beautiful mushroom!
And carefully collected - always helps . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"