ID request Reddening Polypore

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Aciauda
Regular user

ID request Reddening Polypore

Post by Aciauda » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:54 am

Reddening Polypore - help with id please
It grew as a small cluster out of the edge of a large beech stump in Skipton hospital grounds. When dry it looked all white but with hydration colours developed. The edge is pale and the slightly zonate top is gingery brown.

The cap surface is glabrous and coarsely wrinkled towards the edge
1 Reddenong polypore SGH 20 Aug (2).jpg
2 cap surface .jpg
The stem became reddish, turning brownish with age
3 stem and pores.jpg
The poroid surface is deadaleoid with shattered edges to pores near the edge of fruitbody Pores 2 per mm
4 inner pores deadaleoid.jpg
5 outer pores dissepiments frayed.jpg
Microscopy
Spores ellipsoid 5.4-6.0x3.3-4.2 microns

After a long search no basidia to be seen. Hymenium contains cystidioles but no cystidia. Protruding through it are hyphae with broadened ends. Some crystals are dotted through the context.

Structure
Dimitic with solid skeletal hyphae
Generative hyphae 3-4 microns. Clamps very sparse but curious as shown
6 Clamp.jpg
Is this enough information to make an id? I cannot recognise this in Ryvarden and Melo.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: ID request Reddening Polypore

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Archie,

Have you considered Abortiporus biennis - (Blushing Rosette) ?

Your find seems to have the right sort of overall look about it.
The pores / pore surface are about right, as are the spore sizes you give.
(In Collins, cystidia are described as cylindrical, wavy with granular content).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Agree with Mike
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Aciauda
Regular user

Post by Aciauda » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Many thanks Mike and Adam. That ticks every box when I check mine against the description in R&M. I will go back to try to see where I went wrong
Yours aye
Archie

Aciauda
Regular user

Post by Aciauda » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:20 am

I did not find gloeocystidia until I re-examined the specimen after your identification. Then I found a single one with no granules in it so might not have recognised it as a gloeocystidium. Had I known my specimen had them I just might have got it by keying in R&M.

Thank you both my friends for all your help

Archie