Any idea what Fungi this is

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
David Wood
New user

Any idea what Fungi this is

Post by David Wood » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Appreciate your input, if you have any idea. Found in my back garden, next to a Rowen tree, which has dieback disease. Had a search myself, but couldn't find it.
Attachments
20180819_124304.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Any idea what Fungi this is

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

it is usually impossible to give a confident species identification from a single "top view" photograph, as many of the required characteristics cannot be seen - and particularly so when no size details are provided - such as height of stems, width of caps, etc. etc.
See: - http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49

In this case, you definitely have one of the inkcap species, and I'm guessing from the photo that they are roughly 6-7cm tall?

The individual fruitbodies appear to be showing whitish granules on the caps, (which are remnants of the veil), so I would be looking at something like Glistening Inkcap - Coprinellus micaceus.
The brownish coloured (younger looking?) fruitbodies in the background, and the deliquescing from the cap margins - as can be seen in one of the fruitbodies here, would also be characteristic of C.micaceus.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

David Wood
New user

Re: Any idea what Fungi this is

Post by David Wood » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your reply and input on this, really appreciate it. I did wonder about inkcap, due to the black turned up edges on some of them, but must admit I was dumbfounded. Glad I imposed upon your wisdom. You’re correct regarding the size. Next time I will no better and include more information. The photo was taken this weekend just gone in Cambridge, East Anglia.
I see you’re a Lancashire Lad, I was brought up in Skelmersdale for a time, but originally from Liverpool. Many fond memories of Ormskirk, Wigan and were I used to work Martin Mere, in Burscough.
Thanks again.