Tried and failed to identify my first mushroom...

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Arctic Jack
New user

Tried and failed to identify my first mushroom...

Post by Arctic Jack » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:19 pm

It's harder than I thought. I've got 'Mushrooms' by Roger Phillips in front of me but still can't identify this one. Sorry about the photo, it is all I have.
Last edited by Arctic Jack on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Tried and failed to identify my first mushroom...

Post by adampembs » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:11 am

Welcome to UK Fungi.
I removed the image link to an external site. In the interest of the safety of our members, please use our own hosting facility for images.

Best wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Arctic Jack
New user

Post by Arctic Jack » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm an absolute beginner and this is my first attempt and I can't identify these...
Fungi.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello,
this is one of the ink-caps (formerly all Coprinus species, now splitted into the genera Coprinus, Coprinopsis, Coprinellus and Parasola)

The genus ink-caps is characterized by black(-ish) spores and often deliquescent fruitbodies. Often the gills are free, means that they don't reach the stipe but end short before.
Many ink-caps have a veil on the cap, means a loosely adhering layer of material that may be spider-web-like or floccose or mealy.

In your fungus one can guess, that your fungus had such a veil. Unfortunately the foto is not detailed and sharp enough to see the exact structure of the veil. What in this case is not too annoying, as this group of fungi can be determined to species level usually only with the aid of microscopical details such as spore size, shape and size of cystidia, microstructure of the veil etc.

Judging from the overall "giz" of the fungi on your foto and the habitat, I would bet a lot that it is Coprinus lagopus (now Coprinopsis lagopus), Harefoot Mushroom with its common name in Britain.

best regards,
Andreas

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:29 am

Hi
despite the rather bluish cast to the image I would also side with Andreas and Coprinopsis lagopus. The lower left fruitbody show some details of veil.

You have hit one of the problems faced by the mycological beginner - many fungi (especially the macrofungi such as this) change in appearance over the course of the life of the fruitbody. Inkcaps are a classic example of this; so identifications guides often show the fruitbody (remember this is only the visible part of a more complex organism) at its optimum stage. Your fungus has mostly passed that stage (an exception is a small fruitbody in the centre about a quarter way uop). Here we are mostly seeing the upturned, ballet dancer's "tutu", often seen in this species after it has shed most of its spores - it's not one of the really reduced-to-an-inky-mass inkcaps, often only slightly deliquescing. But the whole sequence of emerging, "optimum", this stage is a matter of only a day or so.

HTH
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"