Tiny pale hairy asco on wood

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Aciauda
User

Tiny pale hairy asco on wood

Post by Aciauda » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:38 am

Tiny pale asco on soaking b-l stick
This tiny pale asco was clustered on the other end of the stick with the tiny white balls on stalks identified by Chris as Bulbillomyces farinosus after my recent post. It was almost barrel shaped and made me think of a gooseberry with the top cut off. It was hairy round the edge and hairy on the surface.
1 no 11 at 1 - 2.jpg
The first two pictures show it at low power of dissecting microscope with a mm scale showing in the second one.
1 no 11 at 1 - 2.jpg
2 no 11 at 1.jpg
The next two pictures show it at an intermediate and at the highest magnification dissecting microscope (x7 objective).
3 no 11 at 2.5.jpg
4 no 11 at 7 (3).jpg
The hairs at the edge of the cup and on the surface are dextrinoid shown at x60 and x100
5 no 11 x 60 edge hairs (1).jpg
6 no 11 x 100 edge hairs  (1).jpg
The surface hairs are dextrinoid too
7 no 11 x 60 surface hairs (2).jpg
The excipulum is of elongated cells not properly filamentous, nor would I call it cuboidal

8 no 11 x 60 excipulum.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Tiny pale hairy asco on wood

Post by mollisia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello,

this is Olla scrupulosa.

The excipulum I would call textura prismatica.

best regards,
Andreas

Aciauda
User

Post by Aciauda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Thank you very much indeed Andreas. It is lovely to have found it and much more lovely to have your id. I shall treasure it and look up the fungus right away. Thank you too for textura prismatica.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:54 pm

You will find this common but rather lovely disco in the literature under all sorts of names - if I remember correctly Ellis and Ellis vol. I has it under 3 separate names on different hosts (now synonymised).
See: http://www.speciesfungorum.org/Names/Sy ... dID=315277

Best wishes
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"