Identification help

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
sazml
User

Identification help

Post by sazml » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:27 pm

The attachment DSC_0065.jpg is no longer available
Found around 5 of these growing in Scottish woodland just under the surface of a layer of pine needles.
The attachment DSC_0066.jpg is no longer available
The attachment DSC_0067.jpg is no longer available
when we removed one to check if it had a stalk it pulled a fibrous "root" from the soil.
The attachment DSC_0070.jpg is no longer available
within half a meter of the group was another fungus perhaps related to the group perhaps an older specimen?
DSC_0075.jpg

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Identification help

Post by Flaxton » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Sazml
Welcome to the forum. With only one (rather blurred) picture it is difficult to be sure but it looks like a Stink Horn Phallus impudicus.
Mal

sazml
User

Post by sazml » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am

well i did try to insert others but they seem to have not worked out.
i no longer need an id.
Thanks

sazml
User

Post by sazml » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 am

and it takes a millennia for posts to be verified so i kinda gave up on it and went to facebook where i joined a community there and got replies within minutes rather than here wait millennia for admin to approve my posts before waiting for people to reply.

sazml
User

Post by sazml » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:36 am

and yes you are correct it is a stinkhorn!

sazml
User

Post by sazml » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:37 am

i would have made all 3 and now 4 of these replys one post but i couldn't edit my post because of the waiting for approval thing so ...

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi sazml,

Sorry that you have had this experience with UK Fungi website.

We generally try our very best to help people with genuine enquiries, and there are some very knowledgeable contributors here.

Unfortunately, your initial post suffered from the "multiple image uploading problem" that was creating similar problems for many of UK Fungi's members. (Thankfully, it appears that as of today, that problem has been resolved!).

As for your inability to make posts - I'm at a loss to explain that.
Normally, once a new member has been verified as making genuine fungi related post, and had the initial post approved by admin, they should then be able to post to the forum as normal. Why you could not do that is a mystery to me.

Hopefully, Adam, (Site Administrator) will see this and make further comment.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Sorry that you've had problems with post approval. This is there to stop spammers, who regularly target small independent, not-for-profit, run by volunteer websites. I pay for this out of my pocket and put in my time because I enjoy the hobby. There are no adverts.

Normally, only the first two posts require admin approval but if you post more than 2 posts before an admin has approved the first two, they will all need approval. Mike (Lancashire Lad) says your account was showing as inactive (now marked as active) I have no idea why it did that.
The image posting issue was caused by a bug in the forum software (not yet fixed in the official release, but it had a fix, which I enabled)

Anyway, I think you will find it easy to use in the future. Facebook has some good points, but they own your images (I dont claim ownership of your copyright) plus its not organised in a hierarchical "tree-like" structure, so it can be hard to find a post you made a week ago, let along a couple of months ago. Here, that is easy.

Regards
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 am

sazml wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 am
. . . . i kinda gave up on it and went to facebook where i joined a community there and got replies within minutes rather than here wait millennia for admin to approve my posts before waiting for people to reply.
Is millenia perhaps a slight exaggeration - thousands of years? Yes Facebook is very attractive -the Coca Cola of websites (I can't stand the stuff), but I gave up on those attractions because if you delve a little deeper . . . plus I resent the way these internet behemoths effectively stalk you,nick data, pass it on to all and sundry, I could go on.

Well done Adam - thanks for all your work and for keeping UK Fungi independent :) .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"