Help to identify orange fungus on apple tree

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
shropshirelass
New user

Help to identify orange fungus on apple tree

Post by shropshirelass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:02 pm

I noticed this fungus today (13Jul) on a mature cooking apple tree in my garden in Whitchurch, Shropshire.

There had been a fair bit of rain last night after a long dry spell. I've never seen any fungus on the tree before. The tree produces lots of cooking apples, and has been dropping immature apples from the start of June to the present (as it usually does). There used to be a large growth of ivy on the tree but the ivy trunk was cut off several years ago (you can see the cut off trunk in one of the photos).

The fungus is on the main trunk about 110 cm up from the ground, a bit above a place where the outer bark seems to be missing. The larger bit is about 12cm wide and the smaller bit is about 9cm wide. I have not noticed any smell.

I have no interest in eating the fungus, but am concerned about what it might mean for the health of the tree. I'm wondering whether I should just remove the fungus.
20180713_162729.jpg
20180713_162735.jpg
20180713_162747.jpg
20180713_162801.jpg
20180713_162822.jpg
20180713_162828.jpg
20180713_165704.jpg
20180713_165750.jpg
20180713_165804.jpg

eltio
Regular user

Re: Help to identify orange fungus on apple tree

Post by eltio » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:45 am

Looks like Phellinus pomaceus, not uncommon on old apple trees. Parasitic, but there's no point cutting off the fruit body. The organism within the tree remains unaffected. Just enjoy the new fruit the tree's giving!

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello,

no, this is Inonotus hispidus, and it is a quite strong parasitic fungus. I don't think that your tree can be preserved. How long it will withstand the fungus attack is hard to tell. Removing the fruitbody will not harm the fungus in the tree in any way. The mycelium will be spred in the stem already.

best regards,
Andreas

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Chris Yeates

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Andreas
in that case would you say that the fungus pictured here: https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Phellinus_pomaceus is incorrectly named?
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Hello Chris,

no, in my opinion the picture is correctly Phellinus pomaceus/tuberculosus.

The fungus in the thread here is a soft fleshed fungus with greyish-silvery pores, as can be seen on the last two pictures. So in my opinion an Inonotus species. Also the cap colour s more vivid rusty orange in colour than tzhe Phellinus pomaceus, and the last character that differs is the hirsute cap surface in the Inonotus compared to the more or less smooth cap surface of Phellinus.

best regards,
Andreas

eltio
Regular user

Post by eltio » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm now reluctant to get involved in such a learned discussion, but the thread picture seems to me to show a smoother surface than Chris's Phellinus picture.

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Hell eltio,

forums exists for the purpose of such discussions, no? That's what makes them valuable in my opinion.

If you have a look at the last picture, you will notice that the fungus has quite strigose pileus surface. On all other pcitures you can'tz see that, but I think that it is due to the fotograf technic that the pciture gets "flaw" and you don't see it.

If the thread opener could answer the question, wether the fungus was hard like wood (Phellinus pomaceus) or wether it was softer, pressable and somewhat juicy (Inonotus)

best regards,
Andreas

eltio
Regular user

Post by eltio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:09 am

I'm here to learn. Thanks Andreas.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 pm

mollisia wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm
. . . .If the thread opener could answer the question, wether the fungus was hard like wood (Phellinus pomaceus) or wether it was softer, pressable and somewhat juicy (Inonotus)

best regards,
Andreas
Yes, upon looking closer one can see that the cap surface of the fungus in the original post has been "grazed" - clear feeding signs, which would point to a soft consistency.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:00 am

Hello,

by the way, I have never heard of Phellinus pomaceus/tuberculosus growing other than on Prunus spinosa or Prunus domestica agg. - never on an apple tree. Whereas Inonotus hispidus is very common on Malus (besides may be Fraxinus as main host).

best regards,
Andreas