Claret stiped club fungus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Batfish
Regular user

Claret stiped club fungus

Post by Batfish » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all
Sorry not found in the UK - but in the South of France (Provence) during a round of golf. A rather distinctive fungus 4 to 5 inches high. I was looking for a lost ball and thus couldn't study it for any length of time other than taking a quick snap on my phone. it was a foot away from another with same shape and colouring. Cant describe anything about gills/texture/smell but hoping its distinctive enough for someone to be able to point me to the right family.
Attachments
image1[4742]bxxx.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Claret stiped club fungus

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 am

Hi
Looks like the very young growth of Ganoderma lucidum - compare with https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... dum-01.jpg
This is the much-vaunted lingzhi mushroom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingzhi_mushroom

cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Batfish
Regular user

Re: Claret stiped club fungus

Post by Batfish » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:29 am

Thanks Chris. Looks very likely. Appreciate the response.