Is this fungi?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
EmmaJane
New user

Is this fungi?

Post by EmmaJane » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 am

20180602_151330.jpg
Can anyone identify what looks like fungus? Suddenly appearing & spreading quickly in groups throughout my rasied bed with onions. I'm worried it may be harmful with my youngest son diagnosed with autism would be very attracted when he spots them, touching & counting how many we have in garden. Thank you x

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Is this fungi?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

Yes, fungi - and from the photo, it looks as though these are one of the Tarzetta species of "cup fungi".

More than likely being Tarzetta catinus, possibly Tarzetta cupularis, but microscopy would be required to be certain of the species.

They are inedible, but as far as I'm aware they are not poisonous.

See: - https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/tarzetta-catinus.php

and: - https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/tarz ... ularis.php

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 pm

EmmaJane wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:01 am
touching & counting how many we have in garden. Thank you x
It doesn't hurt to touch fungi. The only danger is through eating and possibly inhalation of spores. It's a good idea to wash hands afterwards. They make the place more interesting for your son, I'm sure!
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:53 am

Hello,

I think that are rather Peziza species, e.g. P. vesiculosa or P. granulosa.
Tarzetta usually do not grow that clustered and are thinner and more regular in shape.

But all these fungi are not poisonous, so for the purpose of the original posting it is of no meaning which one it is in the end ....

best regards,
Andreas