Unidentified Fungus - Collybia species?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Unidentified Fungus - Collybia species?

Post by Bob Hazell » Mon May 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I would very much welcome any suggestions regarding this fungus. All 3 fungi were photographed at Draycote Water (a reservoir) near Rugby on 30th April and 3rd May this year. They were growing in grassland but within close proximity of deciduous trees/wood pulp. They were growing in groups of about 3 specimens each. Initially I thought all 3 were identical. In all cases the cap appears slightly striate at the margins. However, the gill arrangement appears different between them (Fungus 1 much less crowded). Fungus 1 and 2 had a cap diameter of about 3-4 cms (Fungus 3 is smaller and presumably a younger specimen). The stem on Fungus1/2 is approx. 5-6 cms and possibly slightly broader at the base. There is no ring. The stem on Fungus 3 appears slightly shaggy. Fungus 1 and 2 appear superficially like Butter cap but it's clearly the wrong time of year. Any help/pointers would be gratefully appreciated.
Fungus-1.jpg
Fungus-1a.jpg
Fungus-2.jpg
Fungus-2a.jpg
Fungus-3.jpg
Fungus-3a.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Unidentified Fungus - Collybia species?

Post by mollisia » Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Hello,

the fungus on foto 1-3 is Marasmius oreades. Well observed the spaced gills, which are more crowded in most other gilled mushrooms.

The other fungus/fungi I'm not too certain. Foto 4-6 looks on first glance as if they are all Psathyrella cf. spadiceogrisea (agg.), but the veil remnants on the stem, especially in foto 5, are quite strange to me. Also I'm not completely certain wether the last foto is the same species as foto 4-5.

best regards,
Andreas

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Tue May 08, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Bob
Image 3 is a duplicate of 1 which suggests you have another photograph to compliment image 4. Image 4 looks very different from 5 and 6.

Regards, Chris

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 am

This shows the difficulty of identifying fungi from images alone. My "help/pointer" would be: make a spore print.
Gills of immature fungi are often very pale and darken as the spores ripen. The Marasmius will have white spores and the Psathyrella will have dark brown-blackish spores. As Andreas says the final image may well be a third species (or even Genus!); it might even be a Conocybe (in which case you will have a third colour for the spores: rusty brown).

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue May 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Thank you Andreas, Chris & Roy for your helpful responses. Well spotted Chris - image 1 and 3 are duplicates. The proper image is attached and whilst remarkably similar to image 1/3 does relate to image 4. I suspect the image won't help much with narrowing down identification. This specimen was in close proximity to the specimen shown in images 5 and 6 previously. As you point out Roy I need to start taking spore samples. Thanks again for your help.
P1210375web.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue May 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Hello,

this foto also shows a Psathyrella species, so one might assume that all the fotos 4-6 and this one are the same Psathyrella.

best regards,
Andreas

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Thank you Andreas. I'm only a novice and it's very kind of you to take the time and assist. Many thanks.