Think this is a lichen can you ID please

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
NellyDee
Regular user

Think this is a lichen can you ID please

Post by NellyDee » Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 am

This was in woodland in the Peak District. sorry only this photo taken by a friend
Attachments
Lichen.JPG

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Think this is a lichen can you ID please

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri May 04, 2018 11:35 am

Hi Nelly,

I'm not aware of any lichens that look like this, but I think it could be something like a large patch of dried up Calocera cornea - (Small Stagshorn).

Normally bright yellow, and I haven't seen it looking quite as dense as here, but it does go this sort of orangey-brown when it dries up.
If you do an image search for "dried up Calocera cornea", you will find a few images amongst the results that show the similarities.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

NellyDee
Regular user

Re: Think this is a lichen can you ID please

Post by NellyDee » Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you Mike - such a quick reply - grateful for the info