Sarcoscypha austriaca tomentum?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
NickWood
Regular user

Sarcoscypha austriaca tomentum?

Post by NickWood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi,
I've read that one way to distinguish S. austriaca (Scarlet Elfcup) from the very similar S. coccinea (Ruby Elfcup) is to examine the hairs in the of tomentum (the matted felt of the outer surface). The hairs of the former are coiled, the hairs of the latter are straight. (Overall structure, spores and cup sizes are otherwise very similar.)
Unfortunately, I left the cup I collected overnight and it dried out, but I endeavoured to take samples to identify the hairs.
The grainy, greyish shot (2) is an EDF composite image. Are these hairs?
The more colourful image (3) appears to show a coiled hair more clearly. Is this the case?
Hoping you can help... Nick
Composite[ed].jpg
PS: I've had great difficulties loading three images. Each time I 'Submit', two images are deleted and "unavailable". Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but as a workaround, I've attached a composite image. Not great but will have to do until I sort out the upload problem.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Sarcoscypha austriaca tomentum?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi,

There is still some debate as to whether the shape of the excipular hairs is a reliable enough characteristic to separate S.austriaca from S.coccinea.

Some people are convinced that there are the two species, and some remain convinced that what is being seen is merely minor variations within one species.

However, whichever side of that line you fall on, it has to be said that some finds of Sarcoscypha definitely do exhibit the characteristic of very curly excipular hairs, whereas others have much straighter hairs.

On the basis of the very curly hairs in your photos, I'd be happy that you had S. austriaca.

Here's one of my photos from 2013, which shows the very curly excipular hairs from the S.austriaca orange colour variant.
(See article beginning on page 6 of http://www.herefordfungi.org/index_htm_ ... t%2030.pdf) : -
Image06 2013-01-17_Excipular_Hairs_200x.jpg
Sarcoscypha austriaca (orange colour variant) - curly excipular hairs.

PS: There is an ongoing problem with the UK Fungi website, with respect to uploading multiple images.
This recent post gives a bit more info, and a workaround: -
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1979#p9643

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

NickWood
Regular user

Re: Sarcoscypha austriaca tomentum?

Post by NickWood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Many thanks, Mike, for the very informative response, confirmation of S. austriaca, and for the link to the article (very informative, too, with amazing images).
Thanks, too, for letting me know about the ongoing problem with the website - good luck getting it sorted!
All the best... Nick