Any ideas on this resupinate fungus?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Techoten
Regular user

Any ideas on this resupinate fungus?

Post by Techoten » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:04 pm

It was growing on a wooden post which I take to be coniferous. Brackets were about 15 mm across. The spores were slightly allantoid and quite large ~ 12 x 5 µm, with white spore print. Thanks!
Attachments
Fungi fir ID-2-27.jpg
Fungi fir ID-3-21.jpg
Fungi fir ID-1-25.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Any ideas on this resupinate fungus?

Post by mollisia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello,

looks like Gloeophyllum abietinum - at least a Gloephyllum species.

best regards,
Andreas

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Many thanks again Andreas, That's a nice little record for me - never heard of Gloeophyllum before!
Many of the spores are over 14 µm perhaps suggesting g.abietinum ??

Much appreciated.
Colin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:31 am

Hello Colin,

that's a bit unusual such big spores - are you sure? Usually they end at appr. 12 µm length.
The spore size is not really different from those of G. sepiarium, but the distance of the lamellae and the colour are significant.

best regards,
Andreas

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Andreas
They ranged from around 10 to just over 14um. Have attached a picture
Attachments
Fungi fir ID-5-13.jpg

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi Andreas
Funny you should mention the size of the spores because I had a similar problem with a post I put on Facebook, where a few on the spores were abnormally large on a sample. I used KMnO4 to see the spores under the micoscope because it just makes white spores so much clearer but it's been suggested now that the reason some spores come out large was the interaction with the KMnO4 ( it is used to treat fungal infections after all). Shall use water from now on!
Best wishes
Colin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Melzers is quite commonly used for white sporing species, as it also gives you the iodine reaction. In the case of Russula and Lactarius, it is normal to measure them in Melzers too.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello Adam,

I think Colin treated them not with Melzers, though they look like that. He sais he uses KMnO4 - I have no idea what this chemical does with spores, wether it makes them swell or wether it doesn't do anything but coloring them. I use congo red to colour colourless structures and am very fine with it ...

best regards,
Andreas

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:06 pm

mollisia wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:39 pm
Hello Adam,

I think Colin treated them not with Melzers, though they look like that. He sais he uses KMnO4 - I have no idea what this chemical does with spores, wether it makes them swell or wether it doesn't do anything but coloring them. I use congo red to colour colourless structures and am very fine with it ...

best regards,
Andreas
Yes, that's why I mentioned Melzers. If I was looking at a Mycena, I'd use Melzers as I also get the iodine reaction, but with something where I don't expect a reaction, I either use water or something like cotton blue if the spores are very small or hyaline and hard to measure.
KMnO4 is highly oxidising and could damage a spore surface, so you could lose features.
For newcomers, I would suggest referring to this list for commonly used stains and reagents. https://www.britmycolsoc.org.uk/mycolog ... /reagents/
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Hello Adam,

correct, but cotton blue damages the spores with certainty and is never a good choice for measurements. It's perfect for obersving cyanophilic reactions or spore ornamentation, but never measure spores in CB! At least in operculate ascomycetes you easily see them collapsing.

best regards,
Andreas

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Ah, never knew that.

cheers
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello Adam,

some examples ....

Octospora wrightii
0-kl-Octospora-wrightii_Ascus.jpg
Peziza obtusapiculata
Peziza-obtusapiculata_Weiherskopf_2016-05-19_kl.jpg
best regards,
Andreas