White bracket

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Heucherella
User

White bracket

Post by Heucherella » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi, I found this large bracket growing on the top of a beech stump. it was about 20cm across. It's colouring made me think of Trametes gibbosa, but it was thin and flat, whereas I thought T. gibbosa was usually thicker. But I have noticed the comment in the new Kibby that much thinner fruit bodies can be found.
IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
I would appreciate an expert opinion please.
New at this, so full of questions!

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: White bracket

Post by mollisia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Hellos,

this is Trametes gibbosa, as your second foto shows perfectly the komma-like pores that are so characteristic for this species.

best regards,
Andreas

Heucherella
User

Post by Heucherella » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Thank you, I shall pay close attention to the pores next time.
New at this, so full of questions!

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am

The green algal colonisation on the upper surface is very characteristic. I have read that is possibly a lichenisation of the bracket.
Steve