Possible Hare'sfoot Inkcaps (Coprinopsis lagopus)?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lee Dingain
Regular user

Possible Hare'sfoot Inkcaps (Coprinopsis lagopus)?

Post by Lee Dingain » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm

I think these are Young Hare'sfoot Inkcaps (Coprinopsis lagopus), perhaps? Any advice much appreciated.

I did not take the photo and have no other information other than it was taken on grassland in Surrey.
Attachments
27072282_10156337351012150_519670369758257621_n.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Possible Hare'sfoot Inkcaps (Coprinopsis lagopus)?

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi Lee
not young anything really - veil almost totally disappeared. I really think anything would be a guess without careful checking of micro-features - one of which would have been the nature of that selfsame veil . . . .

Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Hello,

as Chris says ....
Just want to add, that C. lagopus is highly unlikely, as this species has not a conical cap in age (and it IS aged as there is no veil remnants any more!) and the stipe should be hairy-floccose.
I think this should be more likely something like C. cinereus and relatives.

best regards,
Andreas

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 am

It is also very important to see a gill shot. We are assuming it has dark gills (and hence spores) but we can't tell that from the photo. There are pale species of Mycena, Conocybe and Entoloma that need ruling out.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lee Dingain
Regular user

Post by Lee Dingain » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for your feedback. I didn't take the photos and so this is the only pic I have. I knew an ID was highly unlikely but I have taken on board your comments about aging and species suggestions.

Many thanks,
Lee